Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slotcar lap counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitman_dk

I'm about to build a lap counter for my Scalextric slotcar track. All slotcars have built in magnets, so I will install reed switches (magnetic switch) in the tracks and connect the switches to a PC. The programming part is no problem, but how do I connect the switches to the PC? Through the parrallel or serial port? So what I need is either a pre-build "switch-connector" or a diagram on how to build a circuit board that can connect to the port - any ideas?

Found an easy solution - disassemble an USB mouse and replace the microswitch in left and right mousebutton with reed switched........

Creative. Sounds like it'll work fine.
Years ago I built a counter with a equals button wired to a switch.
Pressing 1+ and it could even count backwards.

Last edited:
Hall effect switches might be better than reed switches. The halls would be more sensitive and would have logic outputs. Please post your project when you get it working . Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back