Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slightly Complicated LED Chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvermopar

I'd like to build or even design a simple circut with multiple outputs to drive LEDs. But rather than an LED chaser that goes down a line at a steady rate determined by a resistance value, I'd like it to move to the next LED when something like a strong bass note played.

Is there a circut like this available? It is possible right? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, SilverMopar

I don't see why not. You could use a 4017 decade counter / divider and just come up with a clock circuit based on a "thump" advancing the clock. A simple microphone amplifier fed into a comparator to get a clock signal to advance the LED count.

Ron

Are you starting small, eventually ending up with a light show?
I've used a simple circuit 20 years ago, with a 555, 4017 and TIP29s driving LED strings. Later I modified it with 4N25 optos and T2500D triacs as a light chaser, removing the TIP29s.
You haven't indicated if you want a dot or bar display as your output.

Last edited:
What I would like to end up with is a light show. I was thinking of mounting LEDs in various locations around the interior of my car. For example under the dash, under the seat, and any other place I can. I'm just sort of fascinated by "pretty" lights blinking in some sort of pattern. Future projects could be light bars or various other displays.

I have built the 4017 decade counter and have it changing to the next light with the a high signal from a push button switch. I have (in the past) also worked with simple amps like the 386. What I'm confused by is... what happens from the output of the 386 amp (pin 6 I believe) and the clock imput on the 4017. I need to make some sort of variable filter right? I'm going to guess with a couple caps and maybe a variable resistor?

I'm just sort of fascinated by "pretty" lights blinking in some sort of pattern.

With that in mind, I suggest you **broken link removed** The link uses incandescent bulbs but the basic design could be easily modified to drive some MOSFETs that in turn drive LEDs. There are a heck of a lot of possibles with imagination being the limiting factor.

Generally I would only help a GM Truck type but since the wife drives a Jeep with a MOPAR block she said it was OK to help a MOPAR type. :)

Ron

Generally I would only help a GM Truck type but since the wife drives a Jeep with a MOPAR block she said it was OK to help a MOPAR type. :)

Ron

Haha, Mopar or no Car.

I have looked at that color organ before. I don't have all of the parts laying around right now, So I'd like to know if that works before trying to buy the parts that I don't have. And would I be best off building the one for common ground bulbs?

Thanks for the help and ideas.

-SilverMopar-

The link I originally provided was a spawn off of this link here. Yes, they work and if you look at some of the other circuits they all have a striking similarity. :) I have built many variations over the years and the basis design hasn't changed much. The designs also leave plenty of room to tweak and modify.

The 12 Volt incandescent bulbs used in the link I provided could be switched to LEDs with little effort or the lamps replaced with larger transistors to drive more current for more LEDs. I would suggest starting with the basic 12 volt circuit and moving along from there but yes it works and yes, I would use the nice common ground.

Ron

Thank you Ron, I will start the project as soon as time allows. One more question. Do you think each IRF4905 is capable of running 8-10 Leds? I understand the load will be different with different LEDs.

I likely would use a MOSFET like the N channel IRF 510 simply because I have used it, have it. However, MOSFETS aren't my strong point so rather than give you bum advice I would suggest you start another thread, link to the 12 volt circuit I linked to earlier and get the take of some of the people in here who are really good using the creatures. The one you mentioned is a high current device. I just don't want to give you bum dope as a GM person and have it come back to haunt me from a MOPAR type. :)

Ron

Haha. Ok I will do that. Thanks for the help here Ron.

Oh, by the way... what GM vehicle do you like/have? I'ma Mopar fan to the end but I do have an 84' Pontiac Sunbird that I liked well enough to fix up last summer.

What I would like to end up with is a light show. I was thinking of mounting LEDs in various locations around the interior of my car. For example under the dash, under the seat, and any other place I can. I'm just sort of fascinated by "pretty" lights blinking in some sort of pattern. Future projects could be light bars or various other displays.

Might consider giving microcontrollers a try. Since you are planning on several LED projects, it will be cheaper and simpler to adjust your light show, or complete changing it in firmware, rather than building a new circuit. They aren't as tough to use as it seems, several programmers you can build at home as well. Lighting up LEDs is pretty basic, and beginner stuff, might find the code you want, already written. Another good thing, you can have several effects programmed on the chip, and select which ever you are in the mood for, instead of separate circuit boards. Simpler hardware, easier and cheaper to reproduce.

Your talking about a PIC right? I tried that once at school. Due to a lack of knowledge desire to figure it out on my own I gave up on the project. That was before I found this site though. But I'm basicly done with my electonics class at school, so what little amount of hardware or programs were available to me before are not now. I'm willing to learn and spend a small amount of money. But I have little more than a bread board and a handful of wires and various basic components right now. Nothing special.

With that in mind, where do I start or is it worth getting into? I'd like to be able to do it.

-SilverMopar-

Haha. Ok I will do that. Thanks for the help here Ron.

Oh, by the way... what GM vehicle do you like/have? I'ma Mopar fan to the end but I do have an 84' Pontiac Sunbird that I liked well enough to fix up last summer.

Right now a GMC Yukon XL and the wife has and loves a Grand Cherokee, she has a history of Jeeps and loves the things. I also had a GMC Suburban I just sold as a friend offered a good buck for the old beast. I kept the Suburban to finish out the winter. The Burb (or beast as wife named it) was the big block 3/4 ton. Truck had guts.

As to using a PIC it is another good way to go. I try not to push PICs as it seems some people don't want to get started with the programming and setup. They do offer some really good possibilities in some projects.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back