Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slide shows to view on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

afritzg

Hi,
I am researching for a project I need to complete at work. I have to create two different types of slide shows that will need to be viewed on a television in our showroom. I want to create one slide show that I can play on a continuous loop. The other slide show I have to be able to click through like a power point.

My first question is what program would I use to create these slide shows so that they can be viewed on the TV in the ways I need. Also is there a way to use a USB to store the information instead of a DVD? I would prefer to buy a newer TV with a USB connection that allows me to view the slide shows through the USB.

Would I need to save the images in any particular format and do they need high res?

In the office we have a Mac and PCs. I can use either to create the slideshows but I would prefer to use the Mac because I will be editing the photos in Photoshop.

I am concerned that I may find programs to make slide shows but the final product will not work on the TV.

Also, when I do get this all worked out, does anyone know of a clicker that maybe plugs into the TV to click through a slide show?

Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated!

'Irfanview' will create/run both types of slideshow, using files in any common graphic format (e.g. JPG, GIF).
It's freeware. Runs on most Windows O/S PCs. Not sure about Mac.

Here's a screenshot of the relevant part of Irfanview's control panel.

Last edited:
afritzg wrote:
My first question is what program would I use to create these slide shows so that they can be viewed on the TV in the ways I need. Also is there a way to use a USB to store the information instead of a DVD? I would prefer to buy a newer TV with a USB connection that allows me to view the slide shows through the USB.

PowerPoint can do both of those,
it can create a show which automatically advances from on slide to the next at a given time interval,
or
it can create a show which is advanced by the presenter or whoever is viewing.

One thing disturbs me here, you keep referring to a "TV", why?

Not knowing the details of your showroom, but the obvious thing to me would be to buy a cheap PC and a large flat screen monitor to put in your showroom.

The information for the slide show can be stored however you like, on the PCs hard disk, on a CD/DVD, or on a USB memory stick.

Does this help?

JimB

In one case, you definately need a computer, Power Point and probably a presenter interface such as this: https://www.logitech.com/mice-pointers/presentation-remote/devices/5873

The connection to your TV can be whatever your PC and "TV" support. Difficulties arise when there is considerable distance between devices. Laptops are good at this. The current school is a laptop and multiple projectors for a large area classroom.

For your other application, you could use a DVD player, but remember that has High Definition issues. To get the HD content, you'll pretty much need a computer. There are machines available that take an SD card and output NTSC video, but I don't think that's what you want.

I don't have a HDTV. Still old fashioned. But i do connect the laptop via HDMI to a composite video converter to an older TV to watch movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back