Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Size (temperature) of a Thermal fuse for a shop vac motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a link to Thermtrol the manufacturer but it doesn't seem to be up yet.
The device I found in my eureka vacuum appears to be a SX8AM Series thermal protection device which is shown on the Thermtrol website. I does state that you have to remove power in order for the fuse to reset, so besides cooling down I will have to unplug my shop-vac.

Yes, I'm aware of resettable over-temperature protection devices, but they are not "thermal fuses". They wouldn't fit into the location of a thermal fuse.

Ken

I had to remove the yellow block that held the original thermal fuse entirely from my shop-vac. I will disassemble my shop-vac and get a couple of pictures to show you how it all fit together.

The thermal fuse is for a PIZZAZZZ pizza baker, not a shop vac. ;) But thanks. ;)

Ken

ShopVac fuse problems

I work for a large hardware store and do repairs on the Shop Vacs that are returned when they quit working. In 95% of the caseas the thermal fuse has
opened and an ammeter reading ( oscilloscope monitored for peak inrush) plus an analog meter, show no motor defect . Requests to shopvac for additional
replacemenmt fuses go unanswered.

Basic product is OK. Service is NOT.

Recommend do not buy.

I install a fuse holder and put in an appropriate slo-blow fuse reacheable from the outside of the case. Non UL acceptable but in over 75 cases the customer was pleased.

Last edited:
Too bad they couldn't have splurged for a resettable fuse of the appropriate rating... It's sad to see a good name like this have problems like that over a trivial preventable issue.

the thermal fuse in most shop vac, are a one shot device . Rigid vac's use a
THERMODISC G4A01121C Fuse, Thermal Cutoff, MICROTEMP G4 Series, 10 A, 250 V, 121 °C, Ferrule, 106 °C

Coffee makers also have these thermal fuses.
If you coffee maker suddenly stops working, it will be 99.9% of the time a blown fuse.

A coffe maker is a device I would NEVER bypass the thermal fuse. The heating element inside can become pretty hot without cooling water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back