Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Site to practice circuit analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

School is less than a month away, and I'm to figure out how start practicing circuit analysis again. The focus this semester is going to be AC circuits, but honestly I could brush up on DC as well.

I have a few electronics books, but it's troublesome following thier circuit analysis for two reasons: [1] because the steps are vague, and their complex examples go unexplained; and [2] the answer keys only give solutions--not strategies or even intermediate steps.

In short, I was wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial site or anything that would fill in the gaps. A book recommendation might help too, but so far, every textbook I've checked suffers the same symptoms: vague instructions and weak strategy guides. Something on AC would be very helpful.

Well, here is what you have to look forward to in circuits 2:

AC analysis is primarily done with what are called phasors. So you'll want to make sure you're familiar with imaginary numbers and changing between polar coordinates and rectangular coordinates. Make sure you both know and understand Euler's formula. That'll put you at an immediate advantage, because I find students have a difficult time learning that (as I did when I did it).

Secondly, you'll be talking a lot about frequency responses and Bode plots. These are methods of analyzing circuits in the frequency domain, which give you great knowledge about filter design. As for recalling brushing up on knowledge from circuits 1. Here is what I think are the most important concepts from circuits 1 that you'll need. Review how capacitors work, i = c*dv/dt. Review how inductors work, v = L*di/dt. Make sure you conceptually understand what transient responses of an RC and RL circuits look like.

You'll talk some about 3 - Phase power, personally I learned it well enough to get by and forgot about it. But that's because I'm a communications engineer, and not a power engineer.

One last thing I just thought of, see if you can get your hands on this book: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...104-9617379-2042326?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

and
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...104-9617379-2042326?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Schaum's Outlines are great books, I've gotten them for control theory before and several other classes. They will show you all of the steps.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks, I'll check out those last two. Incidentally, I remember hearing some buzz on the Schaum's books around that place. 'Guess it's about time I got a copy.

Check the thread "Electronics Tests - where can I find them?" as I did list some good books and their ISBN numbers in that thread recently

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back