Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

siren

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskman

I guess it would be called a siren but what I am looking to make is for my ice fishing tip up, I would like to make the tip up when triggered, trigger say a smoke detector buzzer something I can run off a 9v or other battery while out on the ice.

What's an ice fishing tip?

Use a piexo buzzer or a burgler alarm siren which can be purchased from a DIY store.

the tip up is a device that had a flag connected to it so once the fish bit the flag comes up I want to go one step farther and put a buzzer on it

Won't the noise scare away the fish?

The Electronic Goldmine has some cheap tilt sensors (metal ball in a tube), and a large assortment of buzzers, beepers, bells, alarms, and various other noise makers.

Thought ice fish was really dodging household chores and drinking heavy...

I don't think fish can hear high frequency tones, use a micro switch to measure the tension on the line and a piezo buzzer.

I looked at those micro switches but I was more looking for a switch that when something is pulled a conection is made and the piezo buzzer sounds(something similar to the personal alarms)

Being an ice fisherman out in the cold, he likely wants to fall asleep from the ill-effects of frigid temps and cold winds. The audible alert will awaken him when Mr. Fish nibbles the bait. The sudden awakening sends an adrenaline rush through his body, thereby increasing heart rate, blood flow and finally body warmth. All he has to do is take his mother-in-law along for company inside the ice fishing hut... that will leave him uncomfortable enough to boil and remain awake.

OK, how about keeping things real simple... attach a small bell to the pole's tip. No batteries to replace, no electronics to succumb to the weather!

HiTech's bell idea is elegantly simple and seems like it would be effective. An alternative might be to purchase a low cost piezo or similar buzzer (Jameco lists a "magnetic buzzer" with operating voltage range from 4 to 7 vdc. Other lower voltage models can be had.

A small box containing the battery pack, buzzer and a magnetic reed switch could be constructed. A small magnet on the tip could lay on the reed switch until pulled up - which would change the state of the reed switch to sound the alarm.

Many common switches like this (used on alarm systems) are such that they close when the magnet is near. One website proposes that a pair of magnets can be used to change the operation. A magnet similar to the one on the tip would be permanently fixed opposite the location of the place where the tip magnet will rest. This is said to keep the relay open until one magnet is pulled away. A low cost relay might also be used however it will consume power where the reed switch, when open, will not.

No - the bell is the way to go. It's mechanically simple, it's sensitive to nibbles versus a full bite & run. Keep electronics away from icy, wet cold environment. It's bad enough you put your body through it!

saskman said:
what if I am busy with the mother in law and dont hear the bell the piezo would be way louder

That's one fishing story that I don't think I want to hear...

Well, if you are set on the hi-tech solution, why not just hook it up to a motor, and have it reel in the fish for you, sort of a fishing robot.

why not have the mother-in-law reel in the fish for you. They must be good for something. Have her clean it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back