Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIRC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Hi All,

I have written some code which generates an SIRC signal which tells my TV to mute (much to my wife's annoyance).

Thing is; for it to work I send the signal, wait 45ms (Thanks to Nigel's tutorials), and then send the signal again for it to work.

Is this usual for Sony devices?

Mark

It could be the automatic level control that takes time to adjust. What happens if you send a different command followed by the mute command?

Mike.

Hi All,

I have written some code which generates an SIRC signal which tells my TV to mute (much to my wife's annoyance).

Thing is; for it to work I send the signal, wait 45ms (Thanks to Nigel's tutorials), and then send the signal again for it to work.

Quite possibly so, as SIRC's sends continually while the button is held done it's rather difficult to know - my SIRC transmitter does the same - why only send it once when the original doesn't?.

As Pommie suggests, it may be the time taken for the AGC to settle down, bear in mind there is no preamble sent - so the first set of pulses may be used as preamble?.

I was recently playing around with Sony SIRC myself and what I found is that all my Sony remotes send the IR command a minimum of 3 times regardless of how quickly I press the button on the remote. If you hold a button down it repeats for as long as it's held down, but always a minimum of 3 times.

http://picprojects.org.uk/projects/sirc/

Last edited:
Sorry for not getting in touch sooner, I don't get much chance to do electronics.

It could be the automatic level control that takes time to adjust. What happens if you send a different command followed by the mute command?

That's a good question, let me try (some time passes......)

Ok, here are the results, if I send the mute once and then channel+ nothing happens.

If I send the Channel+ twice my TV responds.

So I think that answers my question, Sony kit likes to see a code more than once within a particular time frame (probably 45ms but I won't bother checking).

Thanks to all for your help.

Mark

Geko suggested that it's always sent a minimum of three times, so if you're not doing it from a button like a remote control, then perhaps you should send it three times?.

Most remote controls send the command packet 3 times. I've always heard that it's to increase reliability. The receiver compares the packets and if they aren't the same it throws them away. I don't know if they do 2 out of 3 or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back