Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sink input (PNP, active high)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kal_B

Hello Everyone,

In this manual they described the input module as Sink input (PNP, active high) which I found confusing, though the wiring diagrams clarified it for me.
Why was it phrased that way, Sink input that requires PNP sensor to connect to it? That would be very poor way of stating it.
A Sink input that is a common collector and PNP describes the input itself, if yes , why is this important to know when wiring a sensor to it?
One last unrelated question is their "UV" to indicate a positive supply for sensor input, is that a common abbreviation for something or is it their own?

Thanks

That is what they mean; the signal driving the input should be active high, or from a "PNP" proximity switch etc.

Some of the abbreviations and wording are based on German in the Siemens documentation; eg. M for "Masse" - ground - or that type of thing.
I know what they mean by Uv but don't know what it's derived from, offhand.

It seems PNP and NPN outputs on sensors are the usual way to describe them, not really sure why this terminology has stuck. But there sure is the need to distinguish whether the sensor is switching the output wire to ground or supply rail and what kind of sensor the module can accept.
Not sure why the supply is called UV, probably comes historically from some german term. BTW, some of my colleagues are currently working on the failsafe version of this family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back