Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

single phase to 3phase transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yhud

hello,
any one can help me or can give me schematic diagram of a transformer single phase input and the output is 3phase. pls help me

You can't get 3 phase out of a transformer that runs on single phase.

3 phase converters can run on single phase. Google "variable frequency drives" for how they work. They can be run at a fixed frequency if you want.

What do you need 3 phase power for and how much do you need?
Turning a standard 3 phase motor into a single to three phase converter is fairly easy.

What exactly are you trying todo

single-phase -> 3-phase will require an inverter

I've heard people create rigs that drive a single phase AC motor coupled directly to a 3 phase motor shaft then you draw your 3 phase off the motor terminals. It's not the most efficient thing in the world but it works if you absolutely need 3 phase, and don't want to buy an inverter.

I've heard people create rigs that drive a single phase AC motor coupled directly to a 3 phase motor shaft then you draw your 3 phase off the motor terminals. It's not the most efficient thing in the world but it works if you absolutely need 3 phase, and don't want to buy an inverter.

It is also possible to use just a 3 phase motor. Connect two of the phases to Line and Neutral. A capacitor will be needed to the third phase to get it started. The voltage on the 3 motor terminals will be 3 phase, with no neutral.

As Diver300 and sceadwian already say.
Use a 3 phase motor on single phase supply.
About 55 uF per kWh for starting.
When motor is up to speed disconnect capacitor via switch or timed relay.

The 3 phases are going to be more balanced on a directly coupled motor as opposed to simple trying to use a 3 phase motor and tap the extra winding for the third phase with a capacitive start. You're going to get inter coil currents using the 3phase motor alone.

Last edited:
Get a VFD. In addition to 3-phase power, Even modest VFDs offer a plethora of cool features. For example, you can select how fast your motor spins up - and down. You can have the motor stop rotating in a second (or less) if you wish. e-stop is build in, you get variable speed, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back