Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single letter Capacitor Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxterdmutt

I have two surface mount devices that look like capacitors but I'm not sure of their value. Both are a light colour, one with a slight green tint and the other a bit yellowish. The one has a red "R" and the other a black "A". There are no other markings. A quick in circuit test gives me the impression that they are capacitors. I don't have an ESR meter. I've tried to remove the one that I think is a problem but it is epoxied in as well. I don't want to crush it until I know what it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

The device is an attenuator out of a tektronix ossilloscope. Here is a pic.
I tried to zoom in as best I could. The component is near the top of the pic near the metal loop.
image.jpg

Last edited:
They look to be custom markings.

The easiest way to identify would be to remove the parts and test it.

If they are SMD ceramic caps its unlikely they are damaged, most failures are components that carry significant heat/current, or parts that dry out over time like electro caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back