Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sine wave with DAC, getting + and - voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred.Amoson

I'm using a PIC microcontroller with an MCP4922 DAC to make a sine wave. Right now I can make a sine wave that goes between 0 and 5V just fine. However, I don't know how to get it to go between -5 and 5 volts, or -2.5 and 2.5 volts. I've never really dealt with negative voltage supplies before. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Should I just leave the code as is and add some sort of amplifier that will drive it into both the positive and negative voltages? I will be needing an amp anyway, since this is a motor driver, and the current output of the MCP4922 is low. Any recommendations on an amp?

Thanks!

Just use an opamp to DC shift the output, and give whatever gain is required.

If you're not concerned about ultra-low frequencies?, a simple coupling capacitor, with a load resistor to 0V, will also shift it to centre around 0V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back