Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sine wave signal generator --- peak voltage ruduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshua.svn

Dear friends ,

Recently i have bought sine wave signal generator working good.

frequency 0 to 3 mhz. but the minimum peak voltage is 500mv to 20 v.

BUT MY NEED IS AT 80 HZ I NEED 50 mV.

SO CAN ANY BODY SUGGEST ME ANY EXTERNAL CIRCUIT WICH REDUCES THE VOLTAGE BUT FREQUENCY SHOULD BE SAME.

i tried a voltage divider but frequency reducing.

thanks and regards
joshua.svn

The frequency is set by the signal generator and should not change with the voltage divider. Maybe you can tell us more about your generator and show us a schematic of the divider.:confused:

The divider should be of high enough impedance that it doesn't load the sig gen significantly. It will then need a buffer to feed the following circuit if that has a low input impedance.

Hi,

I agree that the frequency should not change. If it does change it could indicate that the two resistors used for the voltage divider are too low in value. They can not be lower than what the generator can drive normally. This is sometimes 50 ohms, but it can be 600 ohms or even 1k ohms or higher, so you have to check the manual or design.
As alec pointed out, sometimes you need a buffer. A buffer is an amplifier that can work up to the max frequency of the generator and it provides a lower impedance output so you can drive lower impedance circuits. Normally it would provide a gain of 1, but you can design it for any gain you need or use a higher impedance resistive divider in the front end to get lower output voltages like you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back