Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibwev

I have written a program in assembly on PIC16F690 that works great in the MPLAB Simulator. However, the program does not do what I expect it to do when I program the pic and assemble the device. Please recommend a simulator that allows me to go line by line in the code and test the device in real time.

What are you trying to do specifically? Can you post your assembly program and a schematic?

I would recommend using a PICkit2. It runs in real-time, so as you step through the code, it steps through with the hardware itself. It's extremely useful and quite easy to use. Definitely the best way to do it. Just connect your PK2 to your hardware, select the "PICkit2" as the debug tool under the "debugger" menu, and start stepping through the code.
Good luck!
Der Strom

You have to have a adapter to debug a 16f690 with the pickit 2

PIC16F631*, 677*, 685*, 687*, 689*, 690*
- Use AC162061 ICD header & AC164110 adapter.

Last edited:
I would have a look at this page **broken link removed**

It lets you know what you need to debug chips with the pickit2 you need to pick the right chips or you'll end up needing special headers

I would recommend using a PICkit2. It runs in real-time, so as you step through the code, it steps through with the hardware itself. It's extremely useful and quite easy to use. Definitely the best way to do it. Just connect your PK2 to your hardware, select the "PICkit2" as the debug tool under the "debugger" menu, and start stepping through the code.
Good luck!
Der Strom

I love the quotes. Thank you so much for the help. I ordered PicKit2 dubugger hardware today. When using the PicKit2 Debugger, is it the same as using the MPLAB Simulator?

I love the quotes. Thank you so much for the help. I ordered PicKit2 dubugger hardware today. When using the PicKit2 Debugger, is it the same as using the MPLAB Simulator?

Hehe, thanks :D

It is similar, and basically set up the same way. Just have to change one or two settings and you need the real hardware, but it works great. Definitely worth it! :D

Last edited:
It will not debug a 16f690 with out a special header. If you want to debug I would order some 16f88 there debug able with out a header and so are the 18f chips

It will not debug a 16f690 with out a special header. If you want to debug I would order some 16f88 there debug able with out a header and so are the 18f chips

Oh I'm sorry--I forgot about that. I suggest you do that (order a 16f88).
Thanks Burt

post removed

Last edited:
By the way, what version of MPLAB do you have?

It is not the PICkit2 that needs the adapter--it works fine with the 16F690. It is MPLAB that actually requires the adapter, I believe.

You can't debug a 16f690 with a pickit2 with out this

**broken link removed**

I was looking at **broken link removed**.

It says

PICkit 2 Programmer Application v2.61
Device Programming Support
Midrange Devices
‘LF’ versions of all devices are also supported
PIC16F688, 689, 690

But under the MPLAB side it says

MPLAB IDE v8.66
Device Programming and Debugging Support
Midrange – Programming & Debugging

Maybe I'm reading this wrong?

If you open mplab and use select device it will tell you if you need a header or not.
I have checked and it tell you that you require a ICE/ICD AC162061 header.

Yep It tells you you can program the chip
PICkit 2 Programmer Application v2.61
Device Programming Support
Midrange Devices
PIC16F688, 689, 690

But this is what you have to have to debug in MPLAB you can't debug with the pickit software ide you use MPLAB and pick your debugger

MPLAB IDE v8.66
Device Programming and Debugging Support
Midrange – Programming & Debugging

Ah, I see. So even with newer versions of MPLAB, it will still need the header?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back