Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulation model for LM3914 Bar/dot display driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
I've trawled the net and seen various requests for an LM3914 spice model, but not found a working one.
So here's one which I've devised which has no bells and whistles but which simulates, to a first order, the main IC functions including:- a) bar/dot mode selection, b) dot mode carry for cascaded ICs, c) resistor-programmed hi/lo reference voltages, d) output current selection, e) non-grounded V- and divider ladder, f) independent V+ and Vled, g) leakage current of outputs, h) segment overlap and i) supply current variation with V+ and Vref output load.
I'd appreciate a peer review of the model here at ETO prior to my uploading it to the Yahoo LTS user group. Constructive criticism and bug reports welcome.
Attached are two zip files: LM3914.zip contains a .sub model file, its .sym symbol file and a .asc test jig file. LM3914asc.zip contains similar files for a .asc hierarchical version of the model, in case anyone wants to modify it.

Attachments

• LM3914.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 3,258
  • LM3914asc.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,824
Last edited:
hi,
Thanks 'alec', I will give it a go as soon as I can, will let you know how it goes.

I did a hierarchical model some time ago for my own use, but I was never satisfied with it enough to release it.

Yours look like it will get the job done.:)

Eric

Hi Eric,
I downloaded your model 'some time ago' when it was still in the early stages, but I think I must have overwritten it at some point. IIRC it included opamps to process the ladder voltages?

Hi Eric,
I downloaded your model 'some time ago' when it was still in the early stages, but I think I must have overwritten it at some point. IIRC it included opamps to process the ladder voltages?

hi,
Yes I used comparators, I would say yours is a more elegant solution.

I have reduced your test_asc to just one LM3914 so that I could put it thru its paces, looks good so far.

You could use the 'generic' diode from F2 selection and allow the user to change the 'leds' block Vfwd Attribute.

E.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    52 KB · Views: 3,254
Thanks for looking into this.
I put two instances of the IC in the Test asc so that the dot mode carry between cascaded ICs could be checked easily. Good point re using the generic diode.

I've trawled the net and seen various requests for an LM3914 spice model, but not found a working one.
So here's one which I've devised which has no bells and whistles but which simulates, to a first order, the main IC functions including:- a) bar/dot mode selection, b) dot mode carry for cascaded ICs, c) resistor-programmed hi/lo reference voltages, d) output current selection, e) non-grounded V- and divider ladder, f) independent V+ and Vled, g) leakage current of outputs, h) segment overlap and i) supply current variation with V+ and Vref output load.
I'd appreciate a peer review of the model here at ETO prior to my uploading it to the Yahoo LTS user group. Constructive criticism and bug reports welcome.
Attached are two zip files: LM3914.zip contains a .sub model file, its .sym symbol file and a .asc test jig file. LM3914asc.zip contains similar files for a .asc hierarchical version of the model, in case anyone wants to modify it.
Excuse me Alec_t i need to use the component but when I downloaded your file didn't find the .sym file, could you upload this please

Excuse me Alec_t i need to use the component but when I downloaded your file didn't find the .sym file, could you upload this please

Hello, welcome to ETO.

The SYM file does not have a ".sym" extension, it has a ".asy" extension. All three files are in LM3914.zip:

LM3914.asy -- This is the sym file
LM3914.sub -- This is the model file
LM3914_Test.asc -- This is a simulation file used for testing.

I'd just add that the model was developed for use with LTspice (a free download from Linear Technology), but might need syntax changes to work with other Spice flavours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back