Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simplest PIC programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmmullaney

Hi, I am kinda new to electronics. I was wondering if I could get help with the circuit on this page https://programmer-pic16f84.blogspot.com/

Where do the wires going into short bold lines connect to?:confused:

And what are "4k7" resistors?:confused:

william

:)

blueroomelectronics said:
Here's a link to the NOPPP the granddaddy of ancient PIC programmers.

No! :p

That's a relatively 'modern' PIC programmer, NOPPP isn't an early one - the father of home PIC programmers was David Tait, and almost all designs are based on his original works. NOPPP came years later, and was a crude attempt to reduce programmers to their bare minimum (regardless of compatibility with different machines).

wmmullaney said:
Ok, thanks. I was wondering if there was a serial port doubleras my serial port is already is use by my mouse.
Eh? Just how old is your computer? I haven't seen a serial mouse in many years.

Any computer that old should have two serial ports anyway.

If you're not stuck on the "simple" PIC programmer, I highly recommend one of Blueroom Electronics programmer kits. The Inchworm+ (ICD2 clone) or the Junebug (PICKit2 clone) are both excellent.

I own one of each and they're both very nice products. Now I spend my time programming and prototyping instead of fiddling with a finicky programmer.

You can buy the Inchworm+ kit at DipMicro Electronics.

I don't know where to get a Junebug kit at present. Ask Bill at Blueroom, I guess.

Eventually (if they ever get the online-order web-site done) you'll be able to buy the Junebug and the rest of the Blueroom line at Creatron Parts.

Nigel Goodwin said:
No! :p

That's a relatively 'modern' PIC programmer, NOPPP isn't an early one - the father of home PIC programmers was David Tait, and almost all designs are based on his original works. NOPPP came years later, and was a crude attempt to reduce programmers to their bare minimum (regardless of compatibility with different machines).

Must have been the wooden block :)

Antique computers had wooden panels
**broken link removed**

I use a new mac, the software i want to use is for pc, so I am stuck with a 220mhz win98 machiene. The only pc mouse i have (that works with this computer) is serial. Theres only 1 serial port. Also, is there a more common substitute for the resistors in the schematic?

Oh, I do have an XP laptop i can use...

If you build that programmer then be aware that it uses LVP (low voltage programming) and so your fuse settings must have LVP enabled or you will not be able to reprogram your chips.

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent programmer. The Junebug seems like the obvious choice.

Mike.

A quote from the datasheet of the 16F877:
the LVP bit may only be programmed when programming is entered with VIHH on MCLR. The LVP bit can only be charged when using high voltage on MCLR.
Other chips may be the same. I agree, a JuneBug or InchWorm or ICD clone is the way to go in the long run.

Last edited:
I didn't realise that you can't accidentally turn of LVP when using a LV programmer. Obvious once you think about it.

Mike.

wmmullaney said:
Ok, I will buy a programmer later on but now i just want something simple. I can't find 4k7 resistors anywere so i need a compatible. For programming now I will use a win95 laptop i found. How do I enable LVP?
If you are building this circuit:
https://bp1.blogger.com/_2FnEn3e4t7g/Rx8fgZ_bq5I/AAAAAAAAAAk/hfYeK0Qx4Zs/s320/programmer.bmp
Then anything between 3.9K to 6.8K should work fine. LVP is enabled by default at the factory, however the circuit above uses HV programming so you don't have to worry about it. What you DO have to worry about is that your serial port MUST be able to put out at least +12V on the TxD line or the PIC may not go into programming mode. This is a common problem on laptops with this circuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back