Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simplest micro controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too general of a question.

You can use a PIC and ignore the ADC and other peripherals. One with an internal oscillator like the PIC16F88 would be a good choice. It has more pins but it is not more complicated to use then a device with less pins.

A back of the envelope calculation says you should be able to do an 8-bit processor with discrete IC's in about 75 in^2 which given a typical density 0.8 in^2 per DIP IC equivalent is about 94 IC's.

Do you have the stones to design, draw the schematic, and keep track of that many IC's? If you do I would start with a 74xx181 Arithmetic Logic Unit. Then I would decide what to use for registers and memory. You'll probably need some rudimentary I/O like switches and lights and maybe a UART or two. I guess using a UART would be kinda cheating though. Rack up another handful of chips.

You may as well invest in a digital scope with at least a 16-channel logic analyzer. Unless you're way better at debuging than the guy I learned from you'll have a really hard time with a design that complicated.

BTW -- Good Luck

Since you can get a really good deal on transistors in 1K quantities, I'd build it from transistors. Create a one-hot controller. Simple adders should only take a few hundred transistors.

Of course, I suspect 3vo is right but with such a vague question, it's more more fun to techno-run-amok!

hey,

you cannot build a microcontroller.. you can only buy that...

only the people who know VLSI designs that ant the factory makes that...

buy.. Atmel's 89s51 or 52 microcontroller...

regards..

simran..

philba said:
Since you can get a really good deal on transistors in 1K quantities, I'd build it from transistors. Create a one-hot controller. Simple adders should only take a few hundred transistors.

[SIZE=-1]The Intel 4004 used 2,300 MOS transistors, it the first ever microprocessor was a 4 bit part. [/SIZE]

Lots and lots on NAND gates.

**broken link removed** <-- Binary adder with carry.

Edit: Or **broken link removed**

Last edited:
hey..

3v0 said:
[SIZE=-1]The Intel 4004 used 2,300 MOS transistors, it the first ever microprocessor was a 4 bit part. [/SIZE]

You remember.. once einstein said.. " everything should be simple but not the simplest"..

that means.. we also want some facilities along with simplicity...

hence.. follow.. 8051..

better if you buy its new edition.. Atmel's 89c51..

regards..

simran:)

simrantogether said:
You remember.. once einstein said.. " everything should be simple but not the simplest"..

hence.. follow.. 8051..

Or better still buy a PIC or AVR, something a little more modern than antique 8051's :p

No disrespect, but it only seems to be India that posts questions about 8051's?.

I read about building a processor out of BC549s someone in the Internet but I can't find it.

Although it's pointless for any practical purpose, it seem like a good project and if you do it well it'd get you a good in any degree level digital electronics course.

hey..

3v0 said:

hence.. follow.. 8051..

regards..

simran:)

This is a funny thread.

OP asks an unanswerable question so a couple of jokers (like me) poke a little fun at him. Then people get serious about the silly responses and start debating them. We even get reptitious postings. OP, in the mean time, has gone silent and is probably laughing about the whole thing.

philba said:
I sure don't understand the general terms, though. care to elaborate?

It started with your " This is a funny thread." posting.

Regarding all threads.
It does not seem to matter if the OP is around or not. Members continue to post.

It does not seem to matter if the thread is stale. Members continue to post.
Based on these observations I posted the rhetorical question

me said:
Does a lack of interest on the part of the OP or that fact that a thread is 2 years old makes it any less interesting ?

Which makes sense in the context of your posting.

Yes,
once i asked same question on the forum and the generalized reply was that the discussion could be of help to others -

in fact if the original PO doen't offend, and ina lighter mood, the reply could be 'human brain'

if he could handle and it serves his purpose, ATMEL ATTINY11, 12, seiries appear smallest- with only 8 pins(sop8)

Many times one need not purchase them, as these are found on the back of inkjet catridges and used for character counting and later say --'ink exhauted'

even if one loads ink, it wouldn't work unless the micro is reset.

Later INK Catridge restters have appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back