Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Transmitter and Receiver Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSpit

Hello everyone,

After taking some great advice for my metronome (Yes, ICs are great!), I've decided to try something a bit different. I'm planning to create a simple circuit to land an RC plane. I'm planning to use tilt switches to make sure that its nose doesn't go too high or too low, each controling the elevators.

However, I've got no understanding of transmitting/receiving circuits, I've tried reading about them, but they confuse me like crazy!

So could anyone suggest a circuit which transmits a signal to a reciever which then closes a switch, starting the rest of my circuit?

Or would it be easier if I showed my circuit ideas?

Thanks all for your time!:)

If this is an autonomous free-flying robot, why do you need any RF link?

If you just want to warn the "pilot" that certain limits are being exceeded, then a full-duplex radio link is required; one to provide the feedback, and the standard radio-control uplink.

I was planning for it to be a 'normal' RC plane (controlled by a person) until a switch was 'flicked', then a signal would be sent to the plane, turning on my mod.

The signal would turn the circuit on, which would use a relay to switch the engine off.

It would glide to land, the circuit controlling the up/down so the plane didn't crash.

It's not ment to be a UAV, just a little, very simple circuit to land the plane. I've got an idea how the circuit would work, but I'm not too sure how to build the transmitter/receiver.

All I'm wanting for the transmitter/receiver is it to send a signal to the plane to switch on this circuit.

Again, if I'm making no sense, please say and I'll make a diagram.

So can you just use a spare servo channel (or spare on-off mode) on the regular RC radio control box to enable the "deadstick" mode? All commercial RC controllers have lots of spare control modes you can extend into. For example, these extra control modes are used to "drop bombs", raise/lower flaps, etc.

How will your "hands-off" landing circuit detect the direction where the wind is blowing from so the plane lands with its nose pointing "into the wind" so it lands slowly?
How will your circuit detect trees and light poles?

Hi there,

This isn't meant to be a complex project! Erm, I was planning not to have the plane, detect where to land, wind direction, or anything like that. I'll try and write what I want.

a) I line the plane up with where I want it to land.

b) I press a button.

c) this sends a signal to a reciever in the plane.

d) This completes a circuit in the plane which cuts the engine.

e) if the nose drops beyond a point, a tilt switch makes the elevators make the plane's nose go up (and the same if the nose rises beyond a point).

f) The plane would then glide down and land.

Again, I'm not planning the plane to find a place to land, etc. I'll do that! But all I'm trying to get is a transmitter/reciever which will complete the circuit.

Thanks again for your time.

Does the airplane have a gyroscope so it will keep gliding in the same direction that you wanted?
Do you want it to "fly into the ground" (crunch), or to flare with its nose up just before it lands very slowly?

My RC electric model airplanes automatically cut the motor when the battery charge gets low so there is enough battery power for me to make a controlled landing.
Sometimes the airplane is so high that I don't know that the motor is turned off until it gets low enough for me to see the propeller not spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back