Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple transistor switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techno10

This project is using the parts from a recordable greeting card to drive two motors that can run off a 9v battery. This greeting card also has a moving part that is a small flat motor, so I cut the motor off and measured the voltage 1.2v. I need that voltage to turn on a transistor which will turn on the 9v for the motors. So I practice with a 1.5v AA battery connected to the base of a transistor and it works, but only turns the motors slowly, if I hook up a 9v to the base then the motors will turn fast like they should. The transistor is a NPN NTE47. Is this the wrong transistor or what?

This project is using the parts from a recordable greeting card to drive two motors that can run off a 9v battery. This greeting card also has a moving part that is a small flat motor, so I cut the motor off and measured the voltage 1.2v. I need that voltage to turn on a transistor which will turn on the 9v for the motors. So I practice with a 1.5v AA battery connected to the base of a transistor and it works, but only turns the motors slowly, if I hook up a 9v to the base then the motors will turn fast like they should. The transistor is a NPN NTE47. Is this the wrong transistor or what?

Hi.

I suppose you would need something like this. You can replace the 2N3906 with one that can handle more current like S8550...
switch.png

The NTE47 is a good transistor. Very high gain. But it only has a 200mA collector current.

If you're trying to sink the motor( -) to ground, then maybe you have too big a resistor on the gate input to the transistor (especially if it works with 9v). Since you hooked up 6x (9v vs 1.5v) the voltage and it worked, try 1/6 the resistor with the 1.5v input.

Your base current will be (1.5v - .7v) / R. This current needs to be about 1/10 your collector current.
If you can get it to run, let it run for a while and see how hot the transistor gets.

The NTE47 is a good transistor. Very high gain. But it only has a 200mA collector current.

If you're trying to sink the motor( -) to ground, then maybe you have too big a resistor on the gate input to the transistor (especially if it works with 9v). Since you hooked up 6x (9v vs 1.5v) the voltage and it worked, try 1/6 the resistor with the 1.5v input.

Your base current will be (1.5v - .7v) / R. This current needs to be about 1/10 your collector current.
If you can get it to run, let it run for a while and see how hot the transistor gets.
I don't have a resistor on it, maybe if I used a different transistor with a higher collector current?

I don't have a resistor on it, maybe if I used a different transistor with a higher collector current?
Then you are using it to source current? If you are pulling the - to ground to run the motor, you would blow the transistor up by connecting 9V to the base w/o a resistor.
Do you have a schematic of what you are trying to do.

I would not say you need a higher collector current if you got the thing to run... it may be in your drive circuit.

How about just using a small relay
CPC1017N, I have a input of 1.2 vdc and this should switch on/off the 9v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back