Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple switch box for two NES consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawni

I've got two NES consoles that share the same power supply & TV connections.
I don't want to constantly switch the cables between them and that's why I'm trying to design a little box that can switch between them. This would be straightforward for me, except that the power supply is 9,8VAC (1,3A) and my NES consoles are too valuable to me for to be tested on.

The part that is unfamiliar to me is how to connect the rectifier & capacitor so that I'll have LEDs light up on different stages. (Connecting the power supply to the box, switching the main power switch on, choosing box 1 or 2).

I hope the picture helps to understand if my text is confusing.

Crummy picture

The console power switch would be DPDT ON-ON like so:
Picture (forgot the capacitor from the pic)

Parts that I've though of using

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed** this will eliminate ripple to 0,1V - (0,002mA x 0,01s) / 0,1V = 200uF

**broken link removed**
Calculated from: (9,8V - (2*0,7V Rectifier) - 2V (led)) / 0,002mA = 320 Ohm > closest is 330 Ohm.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

(Btw, any good programs where you can design a circuit? The Paint style is a bit crude.)

So the point is that is the connection to the led a good one?

As for the AV switch that'll just be a DPDT ON-ON that changes the Video & Mono sound from input 1 or input 2 to the output.

Please correct me on anything if I'm wrong.

So if I understand correctly, what you are trying to do is to connect your 2 NES consoles so that they will both be inside a single housing?

I can give you a very straight forward answer on the video switching, if I'm right in thinking that an NES system uses an standard video cable, then it would be as simple as using a SPDT switch to switch between the 2 (just connect the 2 grounds together). The same can be done with the audio (using a DPDT instead).

For you capacitor, I would go a little bigger, if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing. Try using a 1000uF capacitor instead. This should eliminate any noticeable ripple and will eve help if there is a brown out.

So from what it sounds like, you are intent on building a new power supply to power both consoles at the same time right? If that is the case, just use the original transformer and power supply that came with the NES console and connect the 2 primary's of the transformers together to use a single power chord.

If you want a good program for designing circuits there are plenty out there. The 2 that I use the most are Multisim (to actually simulate a circuit) and Express PCB (which can only design).

Sorry for being a bit confusing earlier, wrote that during the night.

It's just a box that switches which console is receiving power and because the LEDs don't work with AC, I've got the rectifiers & capacitors, so I don't think the ripple isn't such a big concern should it be 0,3V or 0,05V.

Without the leds it would be just a simple DPDT switch.

Picture

The audio & video part of it is a seperate connection in the same box and switching the audio doesn't even need a DPDT switch, because the sound is mono (such an old console :) ). I can use a single DPDT for both of them, audio & video.

Picture

The only thing I'm unfamiliar with is how the rectifiers for the leds work.
As in here (Again, ignore the fact that the capacitor is missing from the picture and just focus on the rectifier to AC connection)
Is that rectifier connection a proper one and won't fry my power supply? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back