Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Single Cell NICad Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrocub

**broken link removed**

I fly model airplanes and I would like to build a charging circuit to charge a single nicad cell. I would like to be able to charge it at the flying field at 1C (1100 ma) from a 12 volt 7 amp battery. I was planning on using the circuit in the link above called Constant Current Battery Charger using the circuit with the lm317, but the power consumption is very high. Is there a way for me to charge the battery consuming less power, but in the same time period?

Thanks

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

I fly model airplanes and I would like to build a charging circuit to charge a single nicad cell. I would like to be able to charge it at the flying field at 1C (1100 ma) from a 12 volt 7 amp battery. I was planning on using the circuit in the link above called Constant Current Battery Charger using the circuit with the lm317, but the power consumption is very high. Is there a way for me to charge the battery consuming less power, but in the same time period?

I don't see your problem? - the current of the LM317 circuit is the charging current of the cell - no more, no less.

If you want to make the design more efficient, you need a far more complicated switchmode solution.

It just seems so inefficient.
From a power viewpoint it is inefficient since your are charging a 1.2V cell from a 12V battery which wastes about 10.8V at 1.1A or 11.9W.

As Nigel said, you would need to go to a switching current regulator to improve your efficiency. Unfortunately with efficiency comes complexity. They are significantly more complex than a linear current regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back