Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple RF Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mort

Howdy,

I’m trying to put together a simple RF switch that uses 3 push buttons on a transmitter to control 3 sets of LED’s on a receiver. The circuit would need to transmit about 150 feet. That’s about as far as I’ve got, I’ve been searching for some simple RF circuits I can base this on but so far nothing.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Attachments

• RF Switch.jpg
    RF Switch.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 277
So, it is not exactly a "RF switch"; better saying a three channel remote control.
Depending on your degree of skills, could be much simpler to buy a radiocontrolled toy at the toy store and replace the servos with leds. The gadget would then be operating on a legal frequency, and should reach 150', on a 'tested' basis.
Or, dismantling the toy would yield all the needed parts or subassemblies if you prefer, to put together such project, as finding the specific electronic components quantity one is not easy these days.
For schematics, search under radio control or draw the toy circuit before canibalizing.
You can also visit radiocontrol stores, they should have all you may need.

That would be perfect to use, finding all electronics components to put one together would be four times the work, cost, and time, and mistakes, and...

Just remembered something from the original post, 150 foot range... The car remotes are likely only about 30 feet. The cheap R/C car, probably about the same (less likely). Might look into wireless doorbells. Last one I bought only had one button, but there were 4 dip switches, up to 16 channels.

I'm only a hobbyist... but have found RF stuff tough to build from scratch, results disappointing and basically useless. Have been using ready built RF stuff, adding on to what I could find for a while. I've got better equipment, little better understanding, but still no urge to try building from scratch. It does take some skill, and probably the right test equipment. It's not too hard to make the circuit, just getting it tuned and tweaked. Kind of depends on your budget, time, and dedication. For me, I just want the gadget to work, cheap and quick (no sense of adventure).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back