Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Relay timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a multimeter?

Measure the supply voltage, does it read 12V?

What are you using to power thing with?

Is it an unregulated 12V mains power brick?

Some of these can output voltages as high as 20V with a light load, if so your 555 only has an absloute maximum voltage of 16V and might be destroyed.

Measure the voltage on the capacitor, does it reach 0V pretty quickly when the power is removed and charge up more slowly when the power is applied?

Are you using the correct resistor can capacitor values? Measure the resistor with a multimeter to make sure. I doubt you're using 500k which is a non-standard value, unless it's a pot.

Your origional post said you require a delay of 10 seconds, the components values you have chosen only give about 5 seconds.

Try replacing the capacitor with 100:mu:F and the resistor with 47k or 100k depending on whether you want 5 or 10 seconds. Somtimes the leakage capacitor current can be too high so it never charges though the high value resistor.

If I remember rightly the 555 supplied in the Maplin kit is a TS555 and can only drive 100mA; are you sure your relay uses less than this?

You can easilly test a 555 timer by building an astable that flashes an LED but the circuit is just as complicated as this one which you are having trouble building so I wouldn't recommend it.

Put the circuit and all your components away and return to this problem another day when you've rested.

The multmeter shows the cap is charging / discharging. I've checked the circuit several times & the 555 just keeps getting hot, so I guess it's well & truly cooked.

I have the relay protection the correct way around, anode to negative & cathode connected to pin3. The other diode is connected with the anode connected to pin2 & cathode to positive. I have also added the additional diode that you mentioned on pin3 anode to pin3 cathode to relay & the cathode of the first diode I mentioned.

The input voltage is from the cigarette lighter in the car, but I have been testing the last 2 circuit revisions with a PP3 9v battery.

Im using a 5k6 resistor, but the delay isn't too important, somewhere between 5-10 seconds is fine.

I'm going to reorder the parts from maplin & start from scratch.
I have posted the list of components here, can you confirm all the parts are correct.

Cheers!

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
The delay is important, it at least needs to be long enough to turn the relay on and for you to see it.

Delay = 1.1RC

Let's calculate the delay for your circuit:
R = 5k6 = 5600
C = 10µ
Delay = 0.00001

Delay = 1.1×5600×0.00001 = 0.0616s = 6.16ms

A delay of 6.16ms will be far be too short to turn the relay on let alone for you to notice.

The ceramic capacitor and 4k7 resistor you're intending to order will give an even shorter delay, just 0.000517 or 517µs which is even worse.

Start off with 100:mu:F and 100k for 11s.

If you want a variable delay, then go for a 100k variable resistor with a 1k fixed resistor in series to give a delay from 0.11s to 11.1s but only do that once you've got the 11s delay working.

Where abouts do you live?

I live near Bedford.

I've removed the ceramic capacitor & added 1*100K pot, 1*100K resistor, 1*1k resistor & 1*100µF capacitor.

I live in Tamworth (just north of Brum), but travel around a fair bit for work.

You don't need the 100k if you're using a 100k pot.

Think about it, it will give a resistance range of 101k to 201k, you want 1k to 101k for 0.1s to 11s, not 10s to 20s but it's up to you.

I know. I thought I would attempt to use the 100k resistor first & perhaps use the Pot once the circuit is working. I should have chosen a 10k - 100K Pot, though.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this all. It is really apreciated. I did study electronics several years ago & was actually quite good at it (having even designed a circuit that tracked the strongest source of sunlight to keep a solar panel generating the most amount of power available. It also checked to see if it was dark, as there was no point in wasting power looking for sunlight if there was none!), but it's amazing what you forget when you don't use your knowledge.

Maybe I've missed the jist of the thread here, but shouldn't pin 7 be connected to pin 6 too? I notice you have Germanium diodes in your parts list. A 1N4148 would work OK, and a lot cheaper

On my circuit simulator it seems to work without pin 7 being connected.

Thanks for the tip about the diodes, but I've already put the order in. Apart from being cheaper they should work just as well. (I was thinking higher cost = better reliability / performance) - even if that's not the case!

NP Craigey,
the only difference is the voltage drop approx 0.3v on germanium and 0.6-7 on silicon)
I rarely use 555 timers, so I may be wrong.
I have a pile of 555's at work somewhere, I'll mock your circuit up, if I get a chance.

Maybe I've missed the jist of the thread here, but shouldn't pin 7 be connected to pin 6 too?
No, pin 7 should be left unconnected.

I notice you have Germanium diodes in your parts list. A 1N4148 would work OK, and a lot cheaper
That's ture, the voltage drop doesn't make any difference here. The diodes are just used for protection and discharging a capacitor so using expensive ones is a waste of money.

craigy1 said:
On my circuit simulator it seems to work without pin 7 being connected.

Thanks for the tip about the diodes, but I've already put the order in. Apart from being cheaper they should work just as well. (I was thinking higher cost = better reliability / performance) - even if that's not the case!
They will work.

However don't just assume that a more expensive part will be better. In this case you chose a more expensive part and it doesn't matter but in some cases it could be worse. For example suppose this was a voltage regulator in a power supply and you subsituted the cheap power transistor for an expensive lower powerr rating RF transistor: in this case it would be worse and probably burn out because although it might be more expensive, it still has a lower current rating.

The moral of the story is, always check the datasheets of the components you use rather than making assumptions based on price or the package design.

just an after thought but what's the current rating of the diodes?

Germanium diodes are low current devices, I'm concerned that the one in series with the relay won't be able to take the current.

If you wanted to spend more moner, you could've bought a more expensive 555 like the ICM7555 or the TS555, they will use less power and have a lower input current which is better for longer delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back