Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Questions for small Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

demestav

Hello. I am doing a project which a part of it is about controlling small robots. I am at the point where i am looking for components, actually the motors.

Questions:

(1) for the movement of the whole robot, the most appropriate (i think) is a dc motor. No greate accuracy needed just power, forward and reverse. Does anyone know where to buy small dc motors in UK? I looked RS electronics but i cant find any. (small and cheap)

(2) What are the appropriate motors to use for simple movements on the robots. For example moving a small arm. I am a bit confused between servo and stepper motors.

Please keep in mind that the robots will be contructed using LEGO parts and will be approx. 15-25cm long.

Thank you for reading.

demestav said:
Hello. I am doing a project which a part of it is about controlling small robots. I am at the point where i am looking for components, actually the motors.

Questions:

(1) for the movement of the whole robot, the most appropriate (i think) is a dc motor. No greate accuracy needed just power, forward and reverse. Does anyone know where to buy small dc motors in UK? I looked RS electronics but i cant find any. (small and cheap)

RS Components do some cheap model makers motors, they also do VERY expensive professional motors!.

(2) What are the appropriate motors to use for simple movements on the robots. For example moving a small arm. I am a bit confused between servo and stepper motors.

A servo (usually) only turns a limited number of degrees, but it does this as an absolute position - i.e. you tell it a position to go to, and it goes there. Because it's a geared DC motor, it's small and powerful.

A stepper motor only provides relative positioning, you can tell it to move a number of steps from it's current position, either clockwise or anti-clockwise, but you have no way of knowing where it was in the first place. Steppers are generally expensive and fairly low powered - as they aren't normally geared.

Please keep in mind that the robots will be contructed using LEGO parts and will be approx. 15-25cm long.

If you're using Lego parts, why not use the Lego motors?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back