Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

I have an old but high quality radio (for its day) that only has AM and FM antenna inputs on it. I would like to connect it to a line-level source from my PC (1/8" or RCA is fine).

Is there anything simple out there that will do this?

Why not go for the wireless option - a stereo FM transmitter?

Last edited:
Well, it would seem a little bit silly to live in Bryan TX, and listen to KFMA 89.5 Austin TX via webcast to my PC retransmitted with an FM transmitter to reach 3' from my PC to the radio on top of my desk :) But yes I had thought of that and it is an option.

I may just buy some PC speakers. I've also thought about hooking up my good stereo gear in the office but it just takes too much space on the shelf above my desk (full size receiver + bookshelf speakers).

The horrible, horrible dilemmas we face in modern life... all this because my headphones just aren't quite comfy enough for >2hr sessions.

Most pc speakers have a cheap little 3" speaker for a clock radio. Their frequency response is all over the place but is mainly from 200Hz to 10kHz. Horrible sound quality for music and barely adequate for voice.

Years ago I made a sound system for the beach. It had 3" stereo speakers and a 4" sub-woofer. It had the best sound on the beach. The port on the sub-woofer blew away nearby people and sand.

It bet the speakers didn't sound as good after sand got in under their voice coils and on their diaphragms.

The sand didn't wreck my beach speakers.
But the old AA Ni-Cad cells lasted only 10 years and I didn't replace them.

I have an old but high quality radio (for its day) that only has AM and FM antenna inputs on it. I would like to connect it to a line-level source from my PC (1/8" or RCA is fine).
Is there anything simple out there that will do this?
Well, a simple solution is to break the leads to the top of the volume control, insert a DPDT switch with the common connected to the volume control and one switch side to the wires broken away, and the other switch side to your new AUX input jack. Label the switch Radio/Computer and you are set.

The sand didn't wreck my beach speakers.
But the old AA Ni-Cad cells lasted only 10 years and I didn't replace them.

So how is that beach front property? Sounds great:)

Simple Solution :)

-BaC
Well, a simple solution is to break the leads to the top of the volume control, insert a DPDT switch with the common connected to the volume control and one switch side to the wires broken away, and the other switch side to your new AUX input jack. Label the switch Radio/Computer and you are set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back