Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericvic

I know this is a very simple question but for some reason my brain is not working very well and I haven't been able to find any answers by searching.

I have a sensor that will output a range of say 0 - 2v. What I want to do is to offset that voltage so that it starts at 2.4v. So that it would be 2.4v - 4.4v. How can I do that?

The exact voltages are not important, I can tweak those but I need an explaination of how to get this done and then hopefully my brain will start working again :)

Thanks,
Eric

You really need to give more details, at first glance it looks like you need an opamp - but it might be even easier than that?, without details it's hard to know?.

Let me see if I can provide more information. I don't have any exact numbers because it is work in progress.

The sensor is going to be a photodiode running through an opamp and the output will be something like 0-2v dc. The ADC I'm using, this is the only part I can't change, has an input threshold of 2.4v so I need to get the sensor (opamp) output moved up to above the 2.4v threshold of the ADC. The opamp and the ADC will be powered by 5vdc. Hope that provides more info.

Thanks,
Eric

Can you post the circuit as you presently have it?, it may be possible to bias the opamp to do what you want?.

But what sort of A2D has a 2.4V threshold?.

I don't have any circuit drawn up yet.

The ADC is a Dallas 1-Wire chip, the DS2438.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

It has a temperature sensor built in but that is not what I'm using. I'm using a photodiode through an opamp that needs to go to the VAD input of the DS2438.

Why are you using a battery monitor chip instead of a real A2D, it seems a highly bizarre choice?. For that matter, what processor are you using?, can't you just use a processor with internal A2D?.

This circuit is approximatly what you want. A gain of one is not possible with this circuit, so I made the output 2.4 to 4.8 volts. You may be able to incorporate it into your input opamp.

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 124
Nigel Goodwin said:
Why are you using a battery monitor chip instead of a real A2D, it seems a highly bizarre choice?. For that matter, what processor are you using?, can't you just use a processor with internal A2D?.

This is going to be part of a 1-Wire network so I have to use a 1-Wire chip and since I already use the DS2438 in other devices I wanted to keep using that chip.

Russlk said:
This circuit is approximatly what you want. A gain of one is not possible with this circuit, so I made the output 2.4 to 4.8 volts. You may be able to incorporate it into your input opamp.

Thanks for the circuit. I have a question though. It shows a BIAS of -12v. Do I have to have a negative supply or can I get away with just a +5v or +12v supply?

Thanks,
Eric

You can do it with a single +5V supply, a dual rail-to rail I/O op amp, and 4 resistors. See below.
I used LMC6482. You can substitute any 5 volt capable, dual rail-to rail I/O op amp. The resistors are in the ratio 0.48:1.00.

Attachments

• level shifter.PNG
    level shifter.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Ron, what happened to the ball cap?

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back