Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple question: what is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reon636

Hi everyone, I'm new here and even if I've been working with computers for a long time I got into the electronic circuits world just recentely, so I understand the basics of electronic systems but I'm not very familiar with complex circuits and things like that. I'm saying this only to make clear that there are some components that I don't know well.
So the question is, I started desoldering some components including things that look much like diodes but that don't have bars marking the catode and also have no resistance. They diode option on the multimeter detecs them as closes circuits. What are they? I initially though they were fake resistors (0\Omega resistors) but they don't look like them at all. I found them in a motherboard and in a PSUs.
I enclose a photo.
Thanks!https://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/p8CndAnBj]**broken link removed**
[URL='https://imageshack.com/i/p8CndAnBj']**broken link removed**[/URL]

-forgot to say that I'm not English but I try to do my best at writing. Hope you don't mind if you see grammatical errors

No image, if zero resistance then could be jumpers, or do you mean they read infinity.
Also inductors.
No photo?
Max.

Welcome to ETO, Reon636!

Your English looks fine.

Try loading (or copy/pasting) the image again.

Looks like a ferrite bead. a solid conductor through a ferrite core.
Acts as an inductance or HF suppressor.
Max.

Now yes, I see it.

I think Max is correct. Device like that is meant to reduce high frequency noise on a line.

I see it, and also Max seems to.
Anyway I've made some research and this little thing is most likely a ferrite bead. As Max said it looks like it's used to minimize electrical noise. This actually makes sense because I've got a sort of big version of the component in the photo that I found around the front panel audio cables of a computer, which for personal experience tend to carry noisy sounds because of electrical interferencs. Cool. Thanks a lot

I see it, and also Max seems to.
Sometimes on this site, posts that are very close together are a tad fast for the system (or maybe my computer... :banghead:)... Note the current post times for posts #3 and #4 (no difference).

a security tag? I wonder how it works with magnets in motor nearby.

It doesn't look like plastic, so I would say its an RF choke made of ceramic.

I can attest that the "RF choke" looking thing was nothing but a holder for store anti-theft tags that can be de-activated at the register. The tags are about 1/4"W x 1.5" long x 1/8" thick and are usually white with sticky stuff on one side.

Does it look like this?
28L0138-80R-10_sml.jpg
BL01RN1A1D2B_sml.jpg
This is only a simple ferrite bead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back