Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple PIC16F84A programmer/burner pcb layout kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancer1982

hello to all!:) I'm new here and I find that came to a right place for my problem. I was wondering if there someone could tell me where can I find a schematic diagram of the simple PIC16F84A microcontroller programmer/burner parallel or serial port.

Wow, google 'simple PIC programmer'. You'll probably come across many 'JDM' style serial programmers. If you are looking for the simplest, then I've used this one for my early '84 work:

https://www.hellspark.com/dm/ebench/sx/mirrors/www.semis.demon.co.uk/uJDM/uJDMmain.htm

That is before I realised that the '84 is more expensive than most, as its no longer produced. I would start with the 16F88, or 16F628A.. same pinout, same package, just more peripherals to play with. Cheaper too!

could use Ponyprog?

Here s link to show just what google has:
https://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&safe=off&q=16f84A+programmer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

plenty of info everywher eon this forum.

Blueteeth

Doh! forgot...read the 'sticky' second post down in this forum. It has ALL you need to know in it.

Last edited:
lancer1982 said:
hello to all!:) I'm new here and I find that came to a right place for my problem. I was wondering if there someone could tell me where can I find a schematic diagram of the simple PIC16F84A microcontroller programmer/burner parallel or serial port.

Forget this JDM version as you will be eternally facing problems like anyone else.
as you are into PICs you better efford an USB programmer.this is a one time measure and you will enjoy using it. always go for PICKIT2 of Microchip or a known and reliable clone. I use Junebug from blueroom at www.Blueroomelectronics.com

**broken link removed**
this one works...

I am no advocate for the 'F84, but how come no one mentions the NOPPP anymore or the AN589?

By the way, get a PICkit2.

Simple programmers like JDM, NOPPP, AN589 worked with simple PICs and simple OS like DOS on old machines. Multi-threaded OSes like XP and fast computers made using those old programmers near impossible.
If you have an old 486 with DOS (those old 486s usually heve the proper printer & rs232 ports) you'll probably have more luck than anyome with a modern PC.
Now here's my opinion
You can learn much about PIC programming and spend zero dollars by simply downloading the free MPLAB IDE. It has all the tools you need to program and simulate your PIC code. It even works with several free compilers.
If you are determined to get a programmer then get a PICkit 2 or compatible like my Junebug. This assumes you have a budget of about $50. If $50 is out of your price range then get a paper route or wait till you can afford the tools you need. After all your computer probably cost you more than $50.
People built cheap programmers because way back there was nothing available for under $200
Today anyone can now buy an excellent PIC programmer for about the price of a dozen McDonalds happy meals.

Thanks to all of you. I did buy a pic burner and its cheap. Thanks a lot for all of your advices.:) I just use the IC-Prog JDM and it work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back