Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple PCB software for non-engineers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

London

I'm sure this has been asked a million times. I tried Googling, but wasn't really coming up with anything.

I'm not an engineer. I have a simple project where I'm really just following schematics published in datasheets so I shouldn't get myself in too much trouble. I have everything figured out but when I go to get a quote for PCB manufacture and assembly, they need Gerber files.

I tried a few packages that I found by Google. First was "Express-PCB" but then I realized quickly that's just for that one PCB house and doesn't produce the files I need to shop it around. I found FreePCB but I don't get it :(

Is there anything where I can just pick the parts, position them on the board, and sort of hit "go"?

Probably not, but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Steve

Not really. PCB Express is by far the most straightforward to use. Beyond that you're pretty much limited by price which leaves Eagle Lite one of the only free, general purpose ones. But that does not mean its easy to use. It's learning curve at least on par with the rest (I find it quite a bit more ackward but I'm used to other software).

Last edited:
Thanks. No sooner did I post this, then I realized that FreePCB has a manual :)

I'm slowly working my way through it.

Don't want to diss FreePCB because I love the idea of a decent open source Windows application - but I couldn't recommend it. Try DesignSpark out. Also if you can use linux try kicad or geda
L

I'm long finished my design, but thank you for the suggestion! I tried FreePCB out, but in the end I (mistakenly?) gathered that Eagle was more of a "standard" one so I used that. The limitations of the Lite version were OK for my purposes this time, but obviously its no good for larger or more complex designs. I never ever came across DesignSpark in my searches... so I'll check that out! Thanks again.

Just to let you know, kicad is available for Windows as well. Open Source, but a little limited in symbols and footprints. Very easy to learn and use.

Hello!
try to find out the PCB Artist.it's very easy to use.u can download but when u are going to install it then choose the option "under 18Yers old"then use and enjoy
regards!
Mohammed Shahab Anwar

I'm long finished my design, but thank you for the suggestion! I tried FreePCB out, but in the end I (mistakenly?) gathered that Eagle was more of a "standard" one so I used that. The limitations of the Lite version were OK for my purposes this time, but obviously its no good for larger or more complex designs. I never ever came across DesignSpark in my searches... so I'll check that out! Thanks again.
Things may be changing in that KiCad is more useable and DesignSpark is available. But over the past few years we have ran polls and about 50% of our voting membership used Eagle and the other 50% was split between other programs.

For projects on the web where schematics and layout are provided eagle is the most common format. DesignSpark also choose to import Eagle files.

Given these 3 observations I thin it is safe to say that Eagle is currently the most 'standard'.

Why do you think it is a mistake to say Eagle is more of a standard ?

Last edited:
I'm not saying it was a mistake... I was just being open to the possibility that I was mistaken. I had no major problems with it other than I'd have to pay for it if I was designing a larger or more complex board.

I'm not saying it was a mistake... I was just being open to the possibility that I was mistaken. I had no major problems with it other than I'd have to pay for it if I was designing a larger or more complex board.
Sorry I misunderstood. I found that as the complexity of my PCBs went up my skill and the parts I used allowed me to continue using Eagle Lite. That may not be true for everyone.

I am rather hooked up with Eagle till PCB-Gcode is ported to one of the new packages. I am not sure if there is any plans for that.

About newyear I will run a new poll to see how many of our people are using the packages.

Its the physical size limitation that's probably going to get me. The boards I design are often physically bound to a certain application. They need to be a specific shape and size to fit in an existing case. Eventually, I'm going to come across one that demands a physical size larger than Lite will allow - even if the electronics can fit on a fraction of that space. But then again... its good enough software to pay for. I don't have to be so cheap :)

i have used and am using eagle and tina now, used design lab and many other. tina helps in many things like
tina.gif
amptop.png
amp1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back