Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Op Amp Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasymick

Hi, I'm looking to boost a signal from ~1V to 5V to trigger a function generator, which will then generate a pulse in burst mode. It's currently not triggering at all because of the low voltage of my input signal, which is a saw tooth waveform, 1V peak to peak, that repeats ~100Hz. Can someone recommend a general purpose op amp for this purpose?

I plan to build something similar from this site:
**broken link removed**

Thanks,
Michael

fantasymick said:
Hi, I'm looking to boost a signal from ~1V to 5V to trigger a function generator, which will then generate a pulse in burst mode. It's currently not triggering at all because of the low voltage of my input signal, which is a saw tooth waveform, 1V peak to peak, that repeats ~100Hz. Can someone recommend a general purpose op amp for this purpose?

I plan to build something similar from this site:
**broken link removed**

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael,

What supply voltage do you have available?

Any general-purpose op-amp should easily be able to handle your job. I've got a whole whack of ancient LM358s and I'd be tempted to use one of those if I was building this thing, just to try to use one up. And it'd only use half of it. Or maybe an old 741 or something. Normally I don't think anybody would recommend these old beasts for anything anymore but they should have no problem with your job. If you want better op-amps for about the same price you could try a TL071 or TL081.

Good luck,

Torben

I am thinking about powering it from a 12V AC adapter. I think all of these op amps require a +/-ve voltage supply. Is there a model, or do you know any circuit setup that I can use that needs only one power supply for my application?

Thank you for the suggestions. You can tell I'm not too familiar with circuits. I guess I kind of want something that just works. :)

Michael

Any opamp will operate from a single polarity supply if you bias its inputs correctly.
A few opamps have an input and an output that still work at the negative supply voltage which is 0V if there is only one supply.

Hi Michael,

Check the sticky message Dual or single supplies for opamps in General Electronics Chat. Audioguru made a diagram showing how to connect op-amps for either dual or single supplies.

If you have any questions ask away. It's also been covered a few times already so searching the forums should turn up some existing explanations.

Good luck,

Torben

Thanks, I will search more carefully next time.

I think with the given single supply circuit, the output voltage from 0V would be 6V? (Correct me if I'm wrong) Since I want the output to vary between 0 and 5V, maybe I do need a -ve supply. Would this chip work?
**broken link removed**

It seems like a simple solution.

Thanks,
Michael

hi Michael,
Since your function gen dosn't 'see' the 1v saw tooth tigger, a simple single supply opa would do fine.
If you power say a LM358 from +6V, the output will limit at about +0.5V thru +5V anyway.

As Torben suggests, at 100Hz, a LM358 is an inexpensive choice.

A point to measure, is the driving sawtooth referenced to ground.?

That is, does it swing +/- about the 0V line or is it referenced above 0v.?

What form does the FG trigger input expect, eg: fast edge or will it accept a slow sawtooth.?

Is it important on which part of the sawtooth the FG triggers.?

The reason I am asking so many damn questions, you may require a comparator that generates a 'edge or gating pulse' to the FG, rather than an amplified saw tooth.

Hope you follow this..:)

Appreciate all the advices. I got the triggering working with a simple voltage regulator (LM311) after reading more about it. With a POT, there's the added advantage of this setup for setting where during the sawtooth I would like the trigger to happen.

Thanks,
Michael

fantasymick said:
Appreciate all the advices. I got the triggering working with a simple voltage regulator (LM311) after reading more about it. With a POT, there's the added advantage of this setup for setting where during the sawtooth I would like the trigger to happen.

Thanks,
Michael

hi,
For future reference a LM311 is a Comparator, not a Voltage regulator.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back