Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple OP-AMP, but what type is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lac

Hi.

What kind of op-amp is this circuit when u1=u2=1.0V. Not and diff.op-amp I presume, since the resistor pair is not matched on both inputs. How could I calculate the output voltage from this circuit?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-14 at 08.40.42.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-14 at 08.40.42.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 164
In this simple case of negative feedback, you can assume that the +ve and -ve inputs of the opamp are at the same voltage and that the opamp inputs are not drawing any current (assume it's a 'perfect' opamp).

So all the current flowing through R2 is also flowing through R1. The voltage drop across each resistor this current multiplied by its resistance (V = IR). That will give you the output voltage.

An OpAmp tries to keep V+ = V- (the non-inverting and inverting inputs, respectively).

V- = V+ = U1.

An OpAmp has zero input current (well, almost zero), therefore I(R1) = I(R2).

I(R1) = E/R = (U2 - V-)/R1
I(R2) = E/R = (V- - UT)/R2

Substituting U1 for V- and equating the two currents,

(U2 - U1)/R1 = (U1 - UT)/R2

R2U2 - R2U1 = R1U1 - R1UT

Solving for UT,

UT = -(R2U2 - R2U1 - R1U1)/R1

UT = U1(R1+R2)/R1 - U2R2/R1

UT = U1(1 + R2/R1) - U2(R2/R1)

Which is the superposition of the inverting gain and non-inverting gain formulas.

This is one of the Quizzes I would give my junior EE job applicants. You would be surprized how many fell on their ass!

This is one of the Quizzes I would give my junior EE job applicants. You would be surprized how many fell on their ass!
Not surprised (sorry). Actually, the first ee job I got out of uni (actually my last job) I was asked to name some circuit symbols and draw the basic circuit for buck smps, so I'm guessing there's a lot of people that forget everything as soon as the exam is over.

We learnt the opamp stuff in the "hard subject" of 1st year uni; I guess it was hard - well a new concept anyway - when compared to the grade 10 maths we were supposed to be learning at the same time.

You can call it an "inverting amplifier" or "non-inverting amplifier" depending if the reference voltage is connected to the positive or negative input. Have a look on wikipedia, all is revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back