Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple H-Bridge help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyMustard

Hey guys i need to design a simple H-bridge that uses vcc=15V to run the a DC motor and use a 4.2V signal to drive the H-bridge forward and backward. and i've attached a pic of what i've tried so far but i've run into the problem of the top PNP transistors staying constantly on. i know it has got to do with the fact that my PNP emitter voltage is higher than my base voltage and as a result the transistor doesn't turn off.

i'm wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what i could do to the circuit to make it work?

any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• clip_image001.jpg
    clip_image001.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 217
you need to build a decent gate-drive (what you think is the problem is correct).

Since you are working form 15V things are alot easier, a comparator (or an OPAMP wired as a comparator) can change yr 4.5V to a 15V signal needed to drive the PNP.

or you could concider putting down a NPN with a pull-up resistor to 15V and using the collector-point as the drive for the top-PNP (it will be slow at turn-on tho, which is itself is a kind of good thing)

How if both the collectors of the 2N3906 are connected to GND? I don't know, but it's good to try..

Thanks guys

Hey thanks guys. I used one of the H-bridge designs that was suggested to Emantra (i've attached it to see if you guys think there are any problems or disadvantages) and it works fine. I also forgot to mention that cost was a huge factor and hence i wasn't able to use the op-amp solution. also another thing is our vcc supply will vary between 15-24V. thanks for all your guys help i really appreciate it.

Attachments

• h_bridge.gif
    h_bridge.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 262
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back