Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIMPLE GPS TRACKER FOR TIMING A RUNNING EVENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Hedstrom

I am currently looking at the possibility of putting together a GPS tracking device I can attach to someone in a running event and track there movements from the finish line. I would ideally like the update rate to be 1 second or less. I know I need a small receiver chip and a antenna. I also need a method to transmit that data back to the finish line using a SIM card. My idea is to put everything I need into a wrist or ankle strap that the runner can wear. I would like to sink this information up to google maps possibly using Andruino. I am very new to this technology and would like to know what components I would need to make something like this work. I looked at the various GPS receivers available on sparkfun but I am very new to this and would love any feedback or suggestions you could offer. It would also be nice to have a small recharchable watch battery and a USB charger built into the ankle strap as well. I was also thinking about the possibility of adding a heart rate monitor. This would be especially useful to help keep track of participants during a Triathlon. If there is anyone available that has extensive knowledge on where I should start with this project that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back