Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Electronics Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Promocom

All I wanted to do was make a Sony DVD remote run on a power adapter instead of batteries (for a business application). The remote uses 3v from 2 AA batteries so i got a 3vdc 500ma power adapter from Radio Shack connected with a mini phone jack. Well some of the buttons worked but some either didn't or were erratic. I check the voltage on the power adapter and it was 3.8v so i took it back and got a 3vdc 1000ma adapter that checked at 3.1v so i tried that one and same problem. Put the batteries back in and it works fine.

I've done this on other remotes the same way with no problems but this one seems to be picky. I imagine the power isn't clean enuff but i don't have a scope to check. Can i just put a electrocap across the power? or something like that....

you may be able to add a capacitor, but if that doesnt work, you could always buy a 3volt voltage regulator, they usually have a clean output.

Yes, I think your guess is right. Adaptors don't give a clean voltage. Try putting a cap on it, otherwise get a 5V adaptor and put a 3V regulator on it.

:lol: just about the same answer at the same exact time, too bad it didnt show the seconds for the post.

try 100uf. that did it for my applications. i built a radio receiver and powered it w/ an adaptor and it hummed until i put a 100uf across it.

There are 3.3V regulators around, such as LM3940, but not generally available in electronics stores. Much easier to get an adjustable, with a couple of resistors.

buy an LM317 (1A) and see the datasheet for the circuit

there is an smaller TL317 but (100mA) since it will not ne heatsinked and stuck in a remote it may overheat

i wod go for the LM317 (there the same cost!)

Yust stick the tiny circuit in the batery box

You cod also put in rechargeble baterys and use the adaptor to charge then inside the remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back