Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple electronic counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjurcin45

Is there a simple, reasonable way to build an electronic counter. I want to count the number of times a mouse passes, with absolutely no interference, through a given opening.

A microcontroller and an IR led and Phototransistor would be the easiest solution. The LED emits IR light that is detected by the phototransistor. when the mouse blocks the beam the change is detected by the phototransistor circuit and counted by the microcontroller. You should be able to find circuits for all these things with google.

Brent

One or more counter ICs some 7 segment display drivers and 7 segment displays would be simpler than using a PIC.

ljcox said:
One or more counter ICs some 7 segment display drivers and 7 segment displays would be simpler than using a PIC.

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'simpler', you don't have the software to write - but many IC's against one IC doesn't strike me as 'simpler'.

Nigel Goodwin said:
ljcox said:

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'simpler', you don't have the software to write - but many IC's against one IC doesn't strike me as 'simpler'.

It depends on whether you can write PIC software. I can't, so a hardware version would be "simpler" for me.

The simplest would be to use a light detector like an LDR or infrared sensor and interface it to a transisor wired as a switch which makes a line active when the light beam is cut. Then u have options like u can interface the line to the parallel port of the PC and write a simple C program to do the counting and manipulate the Data in any way.
Or the most simple thing would be to connect the transistor output to short the = key contacts of a calculator. In a calculator when u press +1 and then keep on pressing = the number keeps on adding so eack light interruption ur number of counts would go on increasing.

cjurcin45 said:
Is there a simple, reasonable way to build an electronic counter. I want to count the number of times a mouse passes, with absolutely no interference, through a given opening.
trigger > monostable 555 > counter > BCD 7 segment; counter feedback
to enable = if fourth bit is set ( max count is 8)

You can buy H7CR and polarized retroreflective photoeye from Omron.
It's two minute job...

simple preset counter using CD4518

this may help.....

click link below, bottom of page, click blue arrow.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back