Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple electret mic wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.EM

Hi. I've never really used electret mics before, but I would like to try. Is it possible to easily connect up an insert in a way that it can be wired directly into a normal, non phantom power, mic pre?

circuit must be battery powered (a few aa's)

As far as I know, it only needs a 2.2k resistor and a 4.7uf capacitor, but i'm not sure.

BTW, at what point in the circuit will I have to use shielded cable? All through, or just at the output. Thanks.

Is it possible to easily connect up an insert in a way that it can be wired directly into a normal, non phantom power, mic pre?

not sure exactly wut u mean by this, but i read somewhere that electret mics can easily replace other mics if the supply voltage is somewhere between 2 n 10v. im not sure if that was a very reliable source tho.

As far as I know, it only needs a 2.2k resistor and a 4.7uf capacitor, but i'm not sure.

it depends on the kind of circuit you're going to use the mic with. that sounds like values that would work tho.

BTW, at what point in the circuit will I have to use shielded cable? All through, or just at the output. Thanks.

again, it depends on wut u want to do. if the mic leads are going to be more than a couple inches, you probably want to use shielded cable. wen i did a circuit w/ an electret mic and the leads were mor than a couple inches, all i got was humming.

one thing that i learned the hard way about electret mics is that they have to be connected correctly. take an ohmeter and connect one lead to a lead of the mic and the other to the metal case of the mic. do this on both leads. the one that has the lowest resistance goes to ground. it will work the other way, but not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back