Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple driver circuit doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisbo

I'm designing a kind of light sequencer, in which a 4017 counter should light up incandescent bulbs (one at a time). It works, but the bulbs glow very faintly. I guess it has something to do with the driver circuit shown below.

**broken link removed**
The transistor is a small signal BC547B (max Vce=45V, max Ic=100mA, hfe=200).

When the 4017 output is 12V, V_Bulb is only about 11V.

It's a simple circuit, so it should work, I think...

Any ideas? Would it help to have a resistance between the base and the 4017 output?

/Christian

Chrisbo said:
I'm designing a kind of light sequencer, in which a 4017 counter should light up incandescent bulbs (one at a time). It works, but the bulbs glow very faintly. I guess it has something to do with the driver circuit shown below.

**broken link removed**
The transistor is a small signal BC547B (max Vce=45V, max Ic=100mA, hfe=200).

When the 4017 output is 12V, V_Bulb is only about 11V.

It's a simple circuit, so it should work, I think...

Any ideas? Would it help to have a resistance between the base and the 4017 output?

/Christian

hi,
You picture posting is at fault.. can't see it..:)

Chrisbo said:
Ok, I'll try again...
**broken link removed**

Hope this is visible

/Christian

hi Christian,
1. Open a REPLY window, scroll down till you see a Manage Attachments button, left click.

2. Click Browse on the new window, this open your PC files, select your image file.

3. Click Upload, wait till its done [ref progress bar on window]

4. When its done close this window

5. Make sure your file type is accepatable

Try again..:)

How much current does the bulb take?

12V bulbs do exist but they are kinda specialized.
If you're trying to light a 120VAC or 240VAC bulb you're going to be SOL.
I didn't notice if you filled in your location.

Why doesn't he attach the schematic here so we can see it instead of trying to post it over there where it doesn't work?

12V is a pretty common voltage.

11V looks like what you'd expect from an emitter follower when you take into account the saturation losses.

Your tiny transistor is wasting a huge amount of power and will burn up very quickly.

Chrisbo said:
Ok, I'll try again...
**broken link removed**

Hope this is visible

/Christian
This circuit won't work as the base has to higher than the emitter. You would be better off connecting the lamp from the collector to +24V, grounding the emitter and connecting a resistor between the base and the output of the 4017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back