Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple DIY - extending connectors to fit on a small PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemofus

Hi,

I'm currently trying to repair and better (ideally) a subwoofer, as you will probably have seen from my numerous posts at the moment. I have a simple, practical question, that people might have experience with...

I'm trying to fit an improved capacitor, considerably larger that the previous on, on a PCB. The problem is not volume as such, as I am going to stick if underneath the PCB, but leads length! The PCB holes are close, between 0.5-1cm, where as the new caps I got are much wider, and the pins are not long enough to be brought inwards and connected. (See pic, hopefully attached correctly, the problematic caps are the orange ones to the left.)

In simple terms, how I get around this problem, ideally lengthening the those connectors, without it being much of a shabby DIY job...? I was originally thinking of soldering "extensions", but that would most likely result in nothing else but frustration and finger burns...

Thanks for the ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_2593.JPG
    IMG_2593.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 260
Some ideas:

1. Find a spot which the cap will fit on the PC board. Drill 2 small holes. Solder the lead to create a lip. Insert the cap and make the connections with solid insulated wire.

2. Mechanically fasten using tywraps and tywrap mounting clips that are screwed on.

3. Attach a block of wood if you have room. Tywrap the caps to the wood with the mounting clips.

4. Create a daughter PC board with standoffs or L-brackets and wire to the daughter PC board.

5. For the axial electrolytics to replace radial electrolytics, take a piece of say 18 AWG insulation and insulate the leads while bending them around. Heat shrink also works.

The small daughter perf board mounted with standoffs or small L-brackets (electronics) variety would probaby be the cleanest. You may or may not want to use a connector to attach the wires to the board.

Use this Digi-Key search term and then look under bracket.

If your not familiar with perf board construction see here https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/04/P2514.pdf and look at figure 8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back