Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple design challenge solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

Hey, can anyone please review my solution to a design challenge for class. I want to see if I solved it the best way possible.

Thanks!

(excuse the BMP to JPG defects on the conversion)

Attachments

• design_challege0x1.jpg
    design_challege0x1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 766
If you can increase the complexity, you can make the same circuit with ZERO wires.

If you need an answer immediately, grab a pair of walkie-talkie's and press the "call" or a button on them that emits a buzzer.

I don't see how it is possible using just two wires and DC battery to ring two bells in separate offices, and the requirement that both bells must ring when the buttons (or whatever kind of switch) are activated by people in the other office.

For those who commented that it can be done, a circuit diagram or schematic would be of great help to me.

eblc1388 said:
I don't see how it is possible using just two wires and DC battery to ring two bells in separate offices, and the requirement that both bells must ring when the buttons (or whatever kind of switch) are activated by people in the other office.

For those who commented that it can be done, a circuit diagram or schematic would be of great help to me.
How about this. The resistor is to limit current if both buttons are pushed together.

Attachments

• 2wire_bell.gif
    2wire_bell.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 677
No bell rings if both buttons pressed. :(

The real challenge is "to do it in two wires" as if when three wires are used. Some users said it can be done but I cannot see how it is possible. It seems that the requirement that both bells should ring has been overlooked.

Of course it is possible to setup some form of communication at both ends but that's not a solution in the spirit of the original question. So telephones options are out.

Simple solution is to use AC power supply and diodes.

eblc1388 said:
No bell rings if both buttons pressed. :(

........It seems that the requirement that both bells should ring has been overlooked.........
I didn't see that requirement in the original posting.
Unless both pushes are pressed and released within a split second of one another, the bells will ring - albeit briefly.

pebe said:

Does the original posting explicitly excluded the case that Office B cannot call Office A while Office A is ringing Office B and vice versa?

If not, then you are making an assumption that they must do it in turns.

eblc1388 said:
pebe said:

Does the original posting explicitly excluded the case that Office B cannot call Office A while Office A is ringing Office B and vice versa?...quote]
No, and it didn't specifically include that proviso, either. But I'll accept your point.

windozeuser said:
Hey, can anyone please review my solution to a design challenge for class. I want to see if I solved it the best way possible.

Not sure if I can draw it on here, but will try.

Code:
  +--------+--------------------------------------------------+
-----         |                                               |
  --             >switch                                    >switch
  --          BELL                                         BELL
           Office A                                    Office B

mramos1 said:
windozeuser said:

Not sure if I can draw it on here, but will try.

Code:
  --             >switch                                    >switch
  --          BELL                                         BELL
           Office A                                    Office B

That will ring your own bell. You will be alerted that you are trying to contact the other office. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back