Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple debugging question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

I apologize in advance if I'm being an idiot, but would someone please put me out of my misery and tell me how to watch a variable while debugging in MPLAB?
All I'm trying to do is watch the value of an integer variable which should be changing as I change the voltage applied to a pin. I've copied part of the code in below incase it's relavent to my question (I want to know the value of "result"):

Code:
	while(1)
	{	

OpenADC(ADC_FOSC_32 &
					ADC_RIGHT_JUST &
					ADC_12_TAD,
					ADC_CH0 &  
					ADC_INT_OFF &
                    ADC_REF_VDD_VSS, ADC_1ANA);
		ConvertADC();         // Start conversion
  		while( BusyADC() );   // Wait for completion
		result = ReadADC();   // Read result
  		CloseADC();           // Disable A/D converter

if(result>50)
		{
			LEDPin = 1;
		}
		else
		{
			LEDPin = 0;
		}
	}

I am using a PIC18F2550 with a PICKit2, the MPLAB IDE and MPLAB C18 Lite compiler.

Last edited:
Hi,

Build your project and open Debugger, before Runnning the code goto the View menu and open the File Registers (Down/restore that screen) and then you can also open a Watch Window where you can add in which system registers you may also want to see like ADRESL etc.

Once you have organised all those windows on your desktop, press f7 to single step through your code and watch the registers change.

If you have long delays etc, then use Breakpoints in your code, so you can F9 Run past the delay bit and then resume the single step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back