Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple AC question...i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishael

ok i have a switch board in my workshop that i bought some 120 VAC indicator lights for and i would like to wire them into the switches so that when the load on the switch is receiving power, the light is on and when it is not, the light is off. my problem is that no matter how i wire them, i get very bizarre results. some of which are simple to understand but some are just outright confusing. i need some way to wire these.

and on a side note with this, could someone explain something? my most recent
attempt involved connecting the lamp to the hot power in and my load terminals along with the actual hot in and load. my problem is there that whenever my load is turned off, the light is on because its completing a circuit and bypassing the switch but why, then, does the light turn off when the load is on?

Connect them in parallel connection. Try it gradually and use a multimeter to check it at various points while developing the connection.

Last edited:
Most likley you have just the Hot wire in the switch box. The indicator light needs to be wired across the hot and neutral. A series connection will give the results you describe.

I take it these are switches with neon indicator lights ???

I am staring at some i wired right now but I cannot for the life of me remember how to to wire them I know it was not as obvious as one would assume....I had to ask how to do it and right now cant find the necessary email....

There are 4 or 5 terminals...yes ?

Last edited:
If the indicator lamps are just standard 120 volt incandescent bulbs they would be wired similar to the attached image. The lamps are in parallel with the loads (outlets) in the drawing. Note the outlet polarity as to Hot, Neutral and Ground.

That may help...

Ron

Attachments

• Switches.gif
    Switches.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 158
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back