Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 7-segment LED display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macwarrior

Hey there.

I'm working on a project which needs to indicate a timed event at a remote location - basically, it's a mechanical timer, where each second can be indicated by a bell or flag popping up or something, initiated by the mechanics of the timer itself.

I'm using a steel ball to indicate the time. I have a 7-segment LED display sitting around, but (aside from a mass of wires streaming out of everywhere, activating each segment) I'm not sure how I can build a circuit to have it display numbers.

I'm looking for a circuit that can take a trigger event (say, a ~500msec pulse of electricity) and use that to update the LCD display, moving it from 1 to 2 and so on. Is this possible using just simple ICs, or do I need more advanced logic? If it's not fairly simple (ie, no more than about 15 components), I'll just stick with wiring each segment on its own.

After searching, I found this post. Is that 4511 chip what I'm looking for?

I guess it's a bit of an excessive request, but thanks for any help.
MacWarrior

Last edited by a moderator:
This is fairly simple, just take a bcd decade counter for example **broken link removed** and just connect everything right, at least, if it can be a simple clock signal you take for input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back