Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 12V to 400V boost converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuclearrambo

I never had a chance to experiment with boost converters, so I went on and made a very simple open loop boost converter which can convert 12V to 400V (or more).

I used Arduino to generate PWM (you can use any other source of PWM).

So here you go, the pictures and the circuit.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

If you want the circuit with 555 timer, here you go

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I am planning to use this for my upcoming coil gun project, where I would need this to charge a capacitor bank.

You can also check a small blog post where I have explained it's working.
https://nuclearrambo.com/wordpress/very-simple-high-voltage-converter-boost-converter/

hi,
Whats the maximum output current for a voltage out of 400Vdc.??

Well, at the load I have attached a capacitor of 100uF and its drawing 2A at the time when I turn it ON and then becomes constant at 800mA once the capacitor is charged. I hope that is what you were asking :D

As I've written on your blog:
Thank you so much. I’ve realized your circuit with a feedback to stabilize the voltage output and now I’ve 400V from 5V.
The global quiescent current (considering pro mini too) is about 10-15mA.
I’ve used 6 diodes in series 1n4148, 2 capacitors in parallel of 10nF @ 1kV, inductor of 220uH, and a capacitor of 1000uF between 5V and GND to stabilize the circuit

As I've written on your blog:
Thank you so much. I’ve realized your circuit with a feedback to stabilize the voltage output and now I’ve 400V from 5V.
The global quiescent current (considering pro mini too) is about 10-15mA.
I’ve used 6 diodes in series 1n4148, 2 capacitors in parallel of 10nF @ 1kV, inductor of 220uH, and a capacitor of 1000uF between 5V and GND to stabilize the circuit

brother can you explain how did you menage to get the feedback to stabilize voltage output? i guess you need a voltage divider from the output diode to some pin of the 555 timer, can you post schematic pleasE? king regards

This thread is nearly eight years old.

hi bro, still there?
nuclearrambo was last here in June 2014.
The links to his circuits etc have long since broken.

JimB

Archeological thread.

Anyway information for any future necro-threaders;
The OP’s circuit has no feedback, its output voltage will change all over the place with load and source changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back