Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIM900 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

magvitron

Hi,
Iam doing this SIM 900 interface with a micro-controller. the problem is that whenvere I read a message from the SIM900 module, it shows everything in hex, not ascci. I tried changing the format with the AT+CMGF=1, but of no use. can anyone suggest what the problem really is?
PS : the date and message status etc remain unaffected, only the message body has the problem.

here's the output from terminal:

AT+CMGR=1,1

+CMGR: "REC UNREAD","+XX9961XXXXXX","","13/08/26,13:52:58+22"
00480065006C0061002E

OK

yeah that is true but, how can I avoid this
? any help?

I don't know how to avoid that.

You could just live with it and get whatever is connected to the SIM 900 to convert the ASCII codes. It is quite simple when they are sorted out into 4 character sections.

What does the phone output if you don't send the CMGF=1, and leave it with the default PDU mode?

When I am reading SMSs from a Telit module, I read the texts in PDU mode, and get the microcontroller to convert that.

Download the manual for the modem. Most have specific commands that are not part of the spec to setup how SMS is delivered to terminal equipment.

argh.... I'm done with this.. now I'm switching over to using the PDU mode, Diver300, thanks for the advice! The thing I'm doing is a module that reads the temperature of, say a room and if its warm (er) then it will send a call and or an SMS.If I want to shut it down ; send a message!
I'm doing it with arduino UNO and a SIM 900 module.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back