Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIM interfacing and Mobile communication help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodninja

Hello everyone,

Hope everybody is doing great :) . I really wish to learn about SIM card interfacing circuits and learn about mobile phones, at least i want to learn the very basic way of how to make use of a SIM card to make calls, receive calls and send and receive data, since the most admirable trait in this technique is the universality, i want to learn to use such communication especially for remote controlling.

So, if you guys could recommend some books talking about this topic, i would very much love to learn how to design such circuits. Also, any already made circuit would be very helpful to play around with !

Thank you so much

Look at the list of specifications on this page: 3GPP specification series: 11series You will see several that refer to Subscriber Identity Modules or SIMs. Search from that point for the specifications and then read them. The specifications may require you to buy a subscription or membership in ETSI.

thank you for responding, i took a look at what you suggested...but i couldn't understand the content ! i'm looking for something to read to understand from scratch...

thank you

GSM book is the solution

Hello, members

you said that you want to know more about the mobile call & how it happens and what is the SIM card represent, so you will need to understand the GSM technology from A to Z first and you would find outmore about the SIM card interface.

Thanks

Bloodninja, you seem to be under the asumption that the SIM card has something to do with cell phone calls, it doesn't. A SIM card is nothing more than a memory chip that contains the basic information the cell phone needs to act as that particular SIM card owners phone, all the actual work is done in the phone itself. You can't use a SIM card to initiate a phone call without a phone to place it in, again it's nothing more than an encrypted information storage device, although it has been possible for years to copy SIM cards.

Sceadwian: this is very informative to know,

Hello, members

you said that you want to know more about the mobile call & how it happens and what is the SIM card represent, so you will need to understand the GSM technology from A to Z first and you would find outmore about the SIM card interface.

Thanks

I think this is true.

So to sum this up the right thing to do is to understand the GSM technology then dig out the technical electronic-level subjects, correct ?

Last edited:
This is not the kind of project you would undertake, it's far too complex for hobbyist or experimenter to even think about creating their own cellphone front end. You could try www.sparkfun.com they sell modules that accept SIM cards that can be interfaced to other electronic circuits. They're not cheap, but what you're asking to do is not simple either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back