Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Silver paint as glue/ silver epoxy resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I want to use silver paint as glue and you can see the paint in the link below. I'm gluing steel to pzt, the pzt is one terminal and the steel is the other terminal and so essentially I need a conducting glue/paint. The bond seems quite strong.

The problem is the paint seems to get everywhere but if i try to clean up before it has set the bond doesn't occur. Is there a way of getting the paint off after it has set?

Also i'm aware that silver based epoxy resin could do the same job. Is there much difference in the strenght of bond, ease of use or price?

ELECTROLUBE|SCP03B|PAINT, CONDUCTIVE, SILVER, 3G | Farnell United Kingdom

Thanks.

Antknee.

Paint removal after drying. I use xylene for flux remover and it eats most paints and some component lettering. If I want to take all the labels off my capacitors, I use acetone.

That is a good idea. I can try those. Have you ever used silver based epoxy resin? I'm wondering if I need a stronger bond, or if I should use the paint but clamp the pzt and steel to improve the bond strength.

Cheers.

I avoid epoxy religiously because the only way to get rid of it is to grind it off. If clamping during drying won't hurt anything, why not just try it? I prefer clothes pins for my clamping needs.

I did try your suggestion just moments before your reply arrived. It left a dent in the steel, but now I know that I can try again without so much pressure in the clamp. I think I will get some silver based epoxy resin to try. It seems to only come in larger bottles for £25 ($40) which will be an expensive waste if I decided not to use it.

Cheers.

Its just a British English way of saying 'thanks'. It didn't occur to me that the meaning may be different elsewhere!

It's kind of vaguely defined, like it could have several meanings. Have a nice day, down the hatch, good-bye. I'm really not sure. It might depend on the situation you're in when you say it.

I guess so. I've made some progress with the gluing. They xylene worked but I've decided I'll just use up the paint I have and then get some silver epoxy resin, it doesn't make as much mess as the paint and gives a stronger bond. I have a small desk clamp I've been using, it is just 2 inches in lenght and i've had it for 15 years and never used it once before. I knew it'd come in handy sooner or later! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back