Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal Transmitter for my Washing Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

strangewayz

okay, very newbie here... but a 'painful' situation has brought me here looking for a solution to my 'problem' :eek:

I have a Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW washing machine in my basement and I want to make some kind of wireless transmitter/receiver that signals me on 3rd floor when the wash cycle is complete. The panel on the washer has a button where you can select to have the cycle finished buzzer go off or not, but I am way too far away to hear it. I figure there must be some way to intercept this buzzer signal and have it sent to a receiver on the 3rd floor?

I can provide more info if required but I guess I am just starting with... is this possible? What additional info should I provide?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Seems pretty simple but I am not an electronics guy, although I am clever
and handy ;)

here is a pic of the model i have:

**broken link removed**

A quick search brought up a wiring diagram:
https://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=46670
But, it looks like the buzzer must be on the control board (not shown), so no quick advice on how to first: detect the buzzer, and second: send a signal to the third floor.

Not sure what the range of baby monitors are, but that might be an off-the-shelf solution.

Ken

Baby monitor was my first thought as well. A kitchen timer would work too, as you most likely use the same cycles, and the time should be about the same each time. For me, after the first load, I just have to wait for the dryer, which has a buzzer. I really have no need to be there precisely when a load is done...

A wireless doorbell probably wouldn't be too tough to wire in there either. Some cordless phones have an intercom function between the base and handset, not sure if it requires an actual phone line though. Something to look into, as I think land lines are really dying out these days, phone equipment is getting dirt cheap.

I would definately look more to a non-invasive solution, control boards aren't cheap. My neighbor's GE got knocked out by lightning, new board was $157 plus shipping. I found a similar transformer in my junk, and got it working for free. I just gave the washing maching back to him, because I knew it was likely to fail again, not much protection for a digital circuit. My washer is more the 20 years old, all mechanical, sits on an open back porch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back