Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal Strength Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weaver

Hello,

I am brainstorming an idea in which I need to know the exact location of a signal within all 3 dimensions. The area in which this signal would emanate is a 1 cubic foot area that could be anywhere between 6 and 36 inches away from the sensors.

My current idea is to use multiple sensors to triangulate the location and use signal strength to gauge the distance to each sensor. I need to be able to sense the distance within 1/8th inch or less in order to make an accurate calculation. That being said, I have also considered taking many more readings than the minimum 3 and averaging the result if necessary.

Here is my question to all of you: Do you know of a product that can guage signal strength with the precision I am looking for? I do not have a signal source that I need to use so if there is a product that has both the transmitter and reciever and can tell the distance between them then that would be great.

The situation in which I need this cannot use IR so unfortunately that is not an option. Other than that, if anyone has any other ideas for accomplishing this task, I would love to hear them.

In nature a bat would be a good candidate for your requirement. They can find their targets even while moving through 3 dimensions themselfes.

So, if you look at their equipment, they have an ultrasound transmitter and two very sensitive receivers with a central brain to process the data.

All you need to do is duplicate this electronically :wink:

I wish you luck, its going to be quite a task :roll:

Klaus

I think your biggest problem will be finding a transmitter that radiates equal power in all directions.

Reflections of RF or sound could really confuse things too.

Is the target stationary when you are measuring position? Are you allowed to use lasers?? Could you put a laser reciever on the target to trigger the transmitter when the laser hits. You could have three lasers - running one at a time. You could sweep the target area broadly with a "line" then converge on the exact spot with all three. Easier to think of than describe here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back