Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal lights Led?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kode

Alright guys, i want to let you know i'm a total noob in electricity and stuff. My specialty is aviation repair. But this should be a simple question to answer i think..

I want to build a 2 part device. A transmitter and receiver. I am going to have the transmitter hooked up to a trip line, and rigged so that once the line is tripped, the transmitter receives power and sends a signal the receiver... Oh a half mile away. Maybe just a quarter. And when it receives that signal, ALL i want it to do is light an LED light. So basically, 1. Trip and 2. LED shines at receiver.

Is there a way to do this? Maybe disassemble a pair of walkie talkies from a garage sale? Or a small AM reciever and transmitter? Something that would run off of at most 4 AA batteries for both parts. Note the reciever will only use power once the line is tripped. Anyways, I THINK i laid that out with everything i needed. I've tried doing so much research on this stuff with Google and can't seem to find or learn what i need. It's all smoke and mirrors to me right now :D Thanks!

Reliable range of half mile is tough, especially if the transmitter and receiver antennas are close to the ground, even with a 1W output VHF transceiver.
With an elevated, external, directional roof mounted antenna, you might stand a chance.

Legality is another issue. In the US there are no license-free VHF radio frequencies where you can do this without risking a stiff fine if caught.

Last edited:
Note the reciever will only use power once the line is tripped.

How will it know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back