Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Side/wire cutter brand recomendations please

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

My fairly cheap Am-Tech mini side cutters have finally turned into wire-chewers after years of abuse, and I'd like to get one more suited to trimming pcb's this time around, possibly a cable cutter as well for thicker stuff. I'm looking to spend up to about £6 max (roughly $9.60 us)

So the question is, what are you folks using? A quick shufty on the 'net gives me cutters from Plato (though they may be a Chinese knock-off), Piergiacomi, Knipex, Nippy, Fujiya (though I can't afford them) Lindstrom (can't afford those either), Duratool and lots of brands that I'm not interested in like Rolson, Blackspuke... the list goes on...

Also, is it worth going for box-jointed cutters if I can get them? I had some aeons ago from Maplin (in the days when they sold decent stuff) box jointed, 45 degree angled head. Loved the shape, never really saw the benefit of the joint style, but maybe they weren't as good as the catalogue wanted me to think.

So, anyone?

Interesting question, throbscottle.

I get whatever my local hardware store (or Radio Shack) has available. I don't expect them to last all that long since I abuse them badly.

I do have several different type and sizes, though, so as to match the task and avoid too much abuse.

Given that box joints are considerably more difficult to manufacture (read more $$) and generally way out live the edges of the cutting surfaces, I've never even considered that style.

Ok so they look very nice and wish I could afford them, however I can only afford mortal prices and I'm only a hobbyist anyway :)
Actually just found Xuron - look like they might be the way to go. Anyone had experience with these?

edit: also discovered orthodontic wire cutters. I might just get those.

Last edited:
What are you cutting?
Use the right tool for the right job!

Cable cutters are useful, but not as useful at home. At work, someone had to cut 14 AWG high purity copper wire into bits and I got a cable cutter for that and it was dedicated to that task. I needed a cable cutter when I had lots of portable cords to make.
At home, I have one specifically for coax cable such as RG-6. It doesn't squish the end.

These or similar **broken link removed** are nice side cutters. They are only for soft and less than 16 AWG wire. They are great for lead cutting. I just abused one of them trying to gut 14 AWG cable and the cutter broke.

Chewing happens when the cutter is not as hard as the stuff being cut.

orthodontic wire is a lot different than a piece of wire wrap wire.

While we are on this subject, the T-stripper is a very nice tool for stripping wire, BUT you need a different one for solid, stranded and metric.

Totally agree with the Wiha comment. For precision screwdrivers, it the way to go.
For larger stuff, I don't mind Klein. I've abused my very small hand pliers and cutters. That did not happen with my work set.

Thanks for the reply and link to the Xuron cutters. Lead cutting is what my cutters are now failing at so that is +1 for that brand.

Chewing is also what happens when the edges of your cutters are worn and don't meet properly, which is what has happened to my old ones. I'm actually surprised how long they have lasted. However, the spot where the edges do still meet cuts better than before because the pressure is more concentrated there!

As to cable cutters, well, I need to be able to chop the ends off computer cables such as CATx and VGA for work to un-route them easily, but sometimes I need to cut cables at home too. Side cutters have just never struck me as being quite the right tool for the job.

As to wire strippers, I hardly ever use them, always use my side cutters. If I'm struggling I have one of those multi crimp/strip tools that does the job ok. For the rare occasions I deal with coax I use a knife.

I'd never heard of Klein tools, though the fact they sell replacement plier handles has to be a good sign!

These are what I came across which made me think it might be a good idea to get orthodontic wire cutters: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orthodon..._Equipment_Instruments_ET&hash=item19df9db676 after all, if they can cut stainless steel wire, they should have no problem with copper, right?

What will likely happen if you use hard wire cutting pliers on soft wire, you will be shooting projectiles of wire. That's the beauty of the other design. The leads cut gracefully and basically lay down.

I make projectiles of wire anyway! But at the moment I am thinking I will get the Xuron ones. I read the FAQ's on their website, it says they don't ping your cuttings away, so you've just confirmed that so I know it's not just hype.

Going to hang on a little and see what others say though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back