Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

shut down led on short-circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmusic

Hi i have the very simple circuit with led current source. The led goes on when load draw about 5 to 15 ma (current source is limited to 24V). i must add a function that the led must go off if there is a short-circuit on output (or below 1V approx)
I need a circuit with no ic and less part possible (it is going for commercial so cost is very important)

Thanx for your suggestions

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 176
Here a quick solution. Adjustments is needed if you don't know the led and fet's characteristics in advance.

Attachments

• 22.png
    22.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
hi i tried your circuit in simulation but was not able to make it work. I design another one, it works ok in simulation but do you think it is good since transistor may have different hfe, if i lower base resistance, it affects current loop.

Attachments

• 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 157
Try replacing R2 and R3 with a pot and see if you get it to work with different settings.

I just took a look at your circuit. Your circuit as it is now will cause the transistor to conduct and the led will not light unless you get the voltage divider to make less voltage out.

Short Detector

An extra transistor, but better margins I think.

Attachments

• short.PNG
    short.PNG
    61.2 KB · Views: 145
An extra transistor, but better margins I think.
You may run into base-emitter breakdown on Q1 during normal operation. You could add a diode in series with the emitter to prevent this.

Roff is right. In normal operation Vbeo is to high. Please add the diode as he stated. Real world tests don't always tell the whole story either, never know about the next transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back